Author Topic: cars for breaking section  (Read 5745 times)

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
cars for breaking section
« on: 27 March 2007, 21:05 »
hi

possible to have a breakers section.

:smiley:
:)

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
Re: cars for breaking section
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2007, 21:36 »
I think this might be a good idea. Breaker must post location though!
It's a good way to avoid 'scene' tax buying bits off a car being broken.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2007, 09:23 »
sub-forum in the classifieds maybe, can always delete it if it doesnt get used. will have a word with the bossman.

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2007, 20:16 »
Thanks Topher

I miss out on parts because the ''breaking golf...'' gets jumbled up in the for sale adds.

Also a certain vw breaker on here wont give me a contact number or location. :rolleyes:
:)

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2007, 22:13 »
 :grin: good idea! might work well alongside wanted section!

Offline robiwill

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2007, 10:41 »
Ah you do know now it is now  illegal to break a car for profit i.e. a car bought solely for parts or a car you haven’t owned for 6 months, with out a ELV (end of life Vehicle)  licences or an exemption certificate.

We are in the process of these hence our ebay actuivity is greatly reduced atm and we are selling everyday cars, clios tigra's even rovers and fords!

The environment agency is watching eBay and there are going to be a lot of changes
but basically shortly only parts for our beloved VW's will come from licensed scrap yards
a few of the rules are

before any part is removed from a car to be dismantled it must be decontaminated even if the car has valid tax and MOT!

if a car is collected taken to be decontaminated, when it is collected you must have a waste carrying licences and this is before parts have even been removed!

you must have documented proof of disposal of all waste for batteries tyres (£2.20 each to get rid of them!) even washer fluid is hazardous waste??
breaking of these laws can lead to £50,000.00 fine and or 12 months imprisonment.

The current government hates old cars they are supposedly the biggest cause of pollution, lol more like an easy target.

so please if you are breaking cars be very very careful as ebay is being monitored as this is the biggest source of illegally broken cars.

a clamp down is going to happen sooner or later and the already approved ELV Breakers are the ones reporting the ones with out.
Even though an elv breaker can apply for the contract with the council to remove unwanted cars or abandoned cars for scrap.
so you guessed it your taxes are paid to the breaker to remove a car they can sell on in parts or for the scrap metal value alone!

don’t you just love the nanny state we live in!

So yes a breaking section would be a good idea but if condonned by ther forum could you be liable for providing a forum for people to knowingly or unknowingly break the law I would check your position as I know Ebay are at present.

Offline tobz.

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2007, 10:46 »
Sounds like a nightmare, gonna make parts for older vehicles even harder to come by.
Just out of interest Robin, is this likely to affect the autojumble side of VW shows???

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2007, 11:22 »
surely those kinda of regulations will only exist for people doin it for a living , not people just doing it for a few extra quid and to get rid of a car they need shifting

flaming goverment persicuiting car enthusiasts once again

Offline robiwill

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2007, 11:32 »
No as parts are removed from cars allready, but as time goes on it will be less and less as the new stock ie cars to break will only be delt with by ELV breakers and alot value an old VW as scrap and crush them straight away rather than taking up valuable space in there specially treated yard, (forgot to mention must be treated hard standing with filtering for rain water)

so long run parts will be harder to source and cost alot more plus the dreaded VAT we currently use global accounting so our vat is included in the price quoted

luckily we still have a huge workshop full of stuff and being a fan its the boxes of clips and trim we have carefully removed that will keep the older VW's going

but stuff like three dooor 90 spec side trim is getting rarer by the day
single pin clocks especially metometre

so may advice is if your scrapping a MK2 gut it of anything useful first as these parts in the future will be a god send to fellow and future forum users

Offline robiwill

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2007, 11:39 »
to be blunt stu a few extra quid in the goverments eyes is income ie profit ie business

this should be declared and tax and national insurance paid on it

The only exception is if you paid for the car used it as a car ie tax and MOT and you then choose to remove parts from it to recover your costs

example

paid £1000 a yr ago for your car drove it for a yr now the engine has say seized so rather than fix it you can break it as a private person and all is fine if the value of the parts sold doesnt exceed the purchase price of the car.

however enviroment laws still apply so say you are caught draining the oil directly into the ground you can expect a hefty fine plus costs to clean up the contaminated land.