Author Topic: Automatic boot opening/closing  (Read 6146 times)

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
Automatic boot opening/closing
« on: 24 August 2019, 19:08 »
Anyone aware if it’s possible to get boot to open and close automatically?  Had it on a previous car and found it so useful when arms full of shopping etc.
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Re: Automatic boot opening/closing
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2019, 20:19 »
There’s an app on OBDEleven that will do it but you need to add a boot opener to the car.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2019, 21:11 »
Cheers for that

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2019, 09:56 »
You will need to change the gas struts to much stronger ones plus VCDS tweaks to pop the latch. It will only open, you can't close it automatically due to the much stronger struts.

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2019, 10:34 »
Hust Google it. I tried "golf Mk7 auto hatch open" and got lots of results.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2019, 09:27 »
Anyone aware if it’s possible to get boot to open and close automatically?  Had it on a previous car and found it so useful when arms full of shopping etc.

ECS hatch pop kit is what you want. Then hold the boot open button on the key. You probably don't need to code - mine, I can see the boot move when I do that. I haven't got the pop kit, but the boot lid moves.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2019, 15:29 »

ECS hatch pop kit is what you want. Then hold the boot open button on the key. You probably don't need to code - mine, I can see the boot move when I do that. I haven't got the pop kit, but the boot lid moves.

Won't close it though. And you would need to be aware that:

As to be expected the hatch will be more difficult to close than with the factory hatch struts. However, with an increase in force of only 15% over the factory hatch struts, you will be used to this slight change in no time. Please ensure you close the hatch with your hand on the emblem and not the hatch body.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2019, 19:02 »
Thank you I’ll give it a go.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2019, 14:06 »
The people across the road from me were just unloading their Evoque boot and the auto open and close is pretty cool.
It probably won’t be long before VW offers the option on a Golf or Audi A3 now that it’s a £500 option on a 1 series. With the proliferation of SUV’s between the marques that have higher opening boots due to how tall they are the auto close will be a necessity on them.
If the parts are available they’ll filter down to the lower models then companies like Carsystems will offer retrofit kits that both open and close.
Not something I’d bother with unless it was standard fit but I can see it being very useful for many people.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2019, 18:50 »
Is it not currently on Tiguans and Touregs?
« Last Edit: 11 September 2019, 16:49 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.