Author Topic: Aircooled Love... share your pics and comments  (Read 34147 times)

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Have a passion for anything Aircooled? Be it a Bug, Bus, 356, 911...etc etc share and discuss anything...  :cool:
Without these things this forum wouldn't be here

Thom
« Last Edit: 13 March 2013, 23:36 by Thom89 »

Gavv8

Re: Aircooled Love
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2012, 14:10 »
I wonder if the cars you grow up with influence your taste in later life, i used to get a lift to school with a mate and his dad had a mk1 campaign and his mum had an orange beetle, now i loved that mk1 so much because it looked great and sounded and went great too and i hated the beetle because it was cold and noisy and kept breaking down and the vinyl seats were bouncy and cold.
I've been to quite a few 'bug' events and the vibe is usually great and the people are always friendly and knowledgeable and the commitment and effort that goes in to some the cars and vans is staggering but i just don't seem to 'feel it', but i do respect it.

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2012, 16:21 »
I've never been big on the Bugs. I was never into the whole retro, peace loving, dope smoking scene that seems to surround V Dubs of this era. I do however, have a serious urge to get a splitty or bay window camper at the moment. I don't know why, but in the last 6 months I've proper fallen in love with them. Only time I've ever had the same feeling about wanting a car, was with the Corrado. Fortunately, I could afford one of those though!  :sad:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2012, 17:46 »
It's definitely influenced by what you grow up with.
My family had a string of VWs; my parents and grandparents both had Mk1 Golfs, my parents also had a Derby, Mk1 Jetta and a Santana (passat saloon).
But a neighbour had a pristine 60s (I think) green Beetle. He'd had it since it was nearly new and only drove it about 1000 miles a year, it was washed every week and always looked great. I would have got one myself if I hadn't been drawn to the Golf by another neighbour's Mk2 GTI.

I do love a good Beetle but these days I need the practicality of a big boot and space for kids.
But we are about to go on holiday in a borrowed T25 camper, so I will probably be wanting one of those pretty soon.

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2012, 18:21 »
I do like the KDF mangler!

Self whore

Death by Kustom Coachworks

Heb Rod

And a good Ghia is always nice!
Project longterm Airbanger.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163335.0

PD150 Anni daily

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2012, 18:51 »
This one was a lovely original bug I photographed near Tunbridge:

Bug by AlistairBeavis, on Flickr

And this VolksRod popped up on flickr recently. Looks cool (although not something I would drive)

Quints Volksrod by Rob Kater, on Flickr

Quints Volksrod by Rob Kater, on Flickr

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2012, 20:40 »
I do really like the KDF Mangler.

the 2 from Brooksie's film

lightning bug

PD150 Anni daily

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2012, 20:42 »
Last ones not aircooled though.

PD150 Anni daily

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2012, 20:48 »

PD150 Anni daily

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2012, 23:05 »
James Deans 55 Porsche 550 Spyder, worth Googling for the full story, and the mystery behind the car, and its whereabouts today...
Car was Known as "Little B@stard"

Thom