Author Topic: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  (Read 1299 times)

Offline -HellRaza-

• GTI forum regular
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
« on: 25 July 2004, 16:34 »
Im a massive fan of Vw golfs, but my one is starting to drive me MENTAL! >:(... its a 1991 silver 5 door mk2 1.3, which is gorgeous, drives alrite, but continuously enjoys P***ing me off!!... after spending ?225 on a complete piston change (timing belt decided to die on me!), last nite it decided to start smoking!... driving along normally... the instrument panel lights randomly turned off.... thinking nothing of it kept driving until i reached a petrol station, had a look at the fuses.... the number plate light fuse had gone... the instrument panel fuse was fine.... changed the gone fuse and drove off again... and then i could smell burning plastic, i thought it was outside, and just kept driving, after a couple of minutes the smell was still there, turned the interior light on and there smoke bellowing outa the dash, and the tweeter pod!!... pulled out the light/dimmer switch, only to find that the dimmer part was melting!! yanked it out, had no lights, threw it on the floor and pulled ova!... the fekin thing burnt a hole in the carpet!!...

is this is a common problem??!! any ideas why or even waht the problem is??... the fuses are all present and correct, im gonna take a look behind the dash to see if there are any wires touching... or any obvious things wrong... ive disconnected the dimmer part, but the instrument lights still dont work... is it just as simple as replacing the switch and things will be fine again or what?!!... any ideas... anyone?!!

cheers

alex

Offline -HellRaza-

• GTI forum regular
Re:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2004, 16:37 »
oh and does anyone have a light/dimmer switch combi that i cud have... post me a price and ill get back to ya...

cheers