Author Topic: 1.6 gti engine overhaul??  (Read 1574 times)

Offline slabfoot

• Not said much yet
1.6 gti engine overhaul??
« on: 23 July 2004, 14:33 »
Hi folks - problem = my 1.6 gti engine is tired. However, its been honed before so I wont get away wid it this time round. Would like keep the original engine but want more power out of it this time; what are my options and where can I source things like oversized pistons etc etc Most grateful, Jub.

Oh - i'v been told you can't bore the 1.6 out as far as the 1.8 - I thought they were the same block?

golfvr6

Re:1.6 gti engine overhaul??
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2004, 14:39 »
On mk2 blocks, the 1.6 and 1.8 are the same block, just a longer stroke.
Probably the same for mk1 engines, but i don't know for sure.

Offline M.C.

• Just got here
Re:1.6 gti engine overhaul??
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2004, 09:06 »
I've worked on my 1600, it wasn't cheap, but it's worth it to keep the original engine.  Here is a list of the work I have done:

Block - I could only source 1mm larger pistons, tried to find 1.5mm, but couldn't get them.  The pistons were pricey as only a few companies make them.  Mine are Mahle.  I had the block bored to match, plus an extra thou as new tight engine make less power than ones with a few thousand miles.  The crank was re-ground at the same time.  I paid about ?350 for this lot, but shopped around and haggled alot to get the price down.

Head - This is another expensive part of my build.  The original guides were shot, so had them replaced along with a skim.  I wanted the head ported and larger valves fitted, but NOBODY lists larger valves that will fit the 1600.  They are very long.  I had valves made specially at ?25 each.  They are 1mm bigger and have 1mm wasted stems to help airflow.  Coupled with the porting this added up to about ?450.  This will be the area of most power gain.

Camshaft - Piper BP285 and vernier pulley.  Stadard springs are fine, but you will need to re-shim the buckets.  A simple job described in the haynes.  New shims are 60p +VAT from a motor factors (if you can get them) or ?4.60 + VAT from VW.

Exhaust - 4-1 Ashley mild steel manifold.  About ?150

Throttle Body - Audi 5cyl 52mm body.  ?10 from scrappies.  I spent some time flowing the TB and knife edging.  I also matched it to the manifold carefully.

Management - I sourced one of the last K-star units to control the mechanical fuel injection and the ignition.  That was about ?600 ic fitting and set-up.

I haven't fitted the engine yet as I'm still waiting for the shell to be finished, but I know it will be fast and will require some enthusiastic driving techniques!  Hope that list helps,

MC