Author Topic: Madone - Mk1 Golf Cab GTI - 'BLACK SOY'  (Read 94422 times)

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
Re: Madone - Mk1 Golf Cab GTI - 'BLACK SOY'
« Reply #50 on: 14 April 2007, 20:58 »
Due to the engine is now all together and sitting in the garage waiting for the engine bay to be ready - thanks Dad.. (waiting on pic's to put up), here is some work I did in last month, must keep you all interested while I'm away and all.

So here is pic of the engine bay before I started stipping it down and working on it... (notice all cables in black bags - to keep the wet weather away as I left the car like this for a while)

I then stripped as much as I could, out of the engine bay. I tired pulling the loom back into the car, but had a lot of issues due to lack of space so I pulled this all into the middle of the engine bay into a new black bag for the moment.

So with all the bits off, I started on the strip down of the brake arm as this needed some love and attention..

After a few hours!! of cleaning off the grease and crap, I then added some undercoat and then a few top coats and here are the results... (I went for the natural look as you don't really get to see most of this once the engine is back in.)

I then started on a few other parts that needed cleaning up and painting. still need to get final coats on these items.... black of course!!

So after a long day, I managed to rub down the whole engine bay area. I had to grind down some parts back to metal due to some welding was required and rust. All I can say is after doing the welding and then cleaning up (very time consuming I can tell you and a few cuts on the hands and arms) I sprayed the engine bay in Red primer, it went on so lovely and covered everywhere.... even a few rubber parts I forgot to pull off and cover up...  :banghead:  never mind a little bit of after cleaning up to do later, to make it look OEM.... nothing that can't be fixed.

I didn't paint the lower parts of the engine bay as this will have black smooth hammerite put on. To be honest it won't even be seen once the engine is in place and plus hammerite is better for lower parts due to all the weather conditions hitting those parts every day.

Well that's it for the moment, more updates next month when back.
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 11 May 2007, 18:15 »
A little update... some more parts arrived while I was away (pictures being taken by old man - thanks)

I'll be back on 20th May so can then focus on getting the engine bay finished painting and then drop the engine back in (its all together now, will show pictures once have engine installed (as usual will be staged pictures how to install engine)

New date for car being shipped to USA - 15th June 07  :cool:
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2007, 18:08 »
So the last few days I've been busy pre-paring the engine bay for top coat (BLACK) and so today was the first few coats.... I let the pictures show the results....

I'll be rubbing it all down again tomorrow with 800 & 1200 wet and dry and then 2 more coats on and then it complete =) then its time to get the engine installed which should be this Sunday and Monday  :D

SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 28 May 2007, 00:18 »
Pic's of the complete engine.... and the completed metering head, which I completed refurb and then painted... 8)

SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 10 June 2007, 15:52 »
So I had a lot of fun this week getting the engine in the car only to scratch the front panel and scratch up the front bumper (was not happy)
so engine out again and spray up the front panel and bumper and the outcome is better than before!!

Engine went back in this morning and final config today and tomorrow  :D  8) (taking break at moment to update all!!)
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 16 July 2007, 17:34 »
More details of progress I did on putting the engine back in the car in June07.

Engine parts back in... run all cables back to locations - giving them all good clean and replacing only 1 broken end with new Vag parts.

Had to replace alot of rubbers in the engine bay, makes it easier to putting everything back, all nice and clean..

Details on replacement heating pipes rubber grommet in engine bay:

VW No: 861819699A - 4.25.

Time to install the refurb Braking system, with upgraded Brake servo and Cylinder, the two front braking lines & from T-junction to Servo are new, with just adjusting the rear lines to fit into the T-junction on the RHD of the braking bracket.

Close up of braking system..

How I set-up the four lines into two, nicely out the way :)

Also as part of the upgrading of the braking system, replaced brake Hoses front & Rear & also handBrake cables, left and right.

Next update I promise will be the engine going into bay details... just a tad busy these days to update..
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 30 July 2007, 00:03 »
So Final step - putting the engine in the car!!

On this engine install, I will be installing from the bottom of the car and then lift the engine into place with a engine crane. I hired a engine crane from HSS for only 32.00 for a complete weekend. So before I started on the engine install I needed to do some prep work.

1. Put the exhaust wrap on the exhaust manifold.
Items required - exhaust manifold, High Temperature wrap and Stainless Steel High Temperature Ties.

After about 60 minutes of fun putting the wrap on here is the end result.

As I bought a new gearbox, some parts needed to be taken off my old gearbox and transfered over. I needed to add the rear engine mount braket studs into the gearbox. I did this by used two nuts tightened together and then put spanner on both and turned to loosen them off of the old gearbox and then add to new gearbox (see pictures below)

I then added the new fuel injectors onto the fuel pipes and then added these to the engine

I then repainted the engine mounts for gearbox and front mount - wasn't happy with last spray results

So now I jacked up the front of the car and put two large axle stands on the front, so it was high enough to slide the engine under and then I put two small axle stands on the rear. I then took off all the wheels and filled the brake lines with brake fluid and then bleed the brakes.

I now moved the engine under the car and into the middle of the engine bay

I now removed the drivers side complete brake set-up with the drive
shaft and also removed the front anti roll bar as these items would
of been in the way of lifting the engine into place.

Now the engine is under the engine bay, time to add the rear engine
mount and the raceland manifold, I then added the raceland adapter
to the end of the middle section of the exhaust still on the car.

I then rolled the engine crane over the engine bay and roped the
engine to the crane and lifted up the engine into place. First - driver
side engine mount, then the rear engine mount and then
passengers side.(The front engine mount will be added when the
start motor is added)

This method of installation I find easier, as I can control engine better and I didn't scratch any of the engine bay paintwork of engine :)

Now I had the engine in place, I then connected up the Raceland manifold to the rest of the exhaust. Next putting back the drivers side complete brake set-up with the driveshaft and also the front anti roll bar. Then bolting up the drive shafts - adding grease and then adding new bolt.

I then spent the next 3 hours, running all the cables to the engine and added all the remaining engine parts, so it looks like this now.

I'm really please with the results.

I also spent a while setting up the engine so it was running nicely  :D  :D
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 13 November 2007, 00:25 »
Well after all the hard work, I am now going to sell the car instead of shipping to USA. Car is still in the UK. Full details will be in sale section in next few days.

thanks....

New project will be published soon... its a LHD is all I'm saying!

« Last Edit: 17 January 2008, 23:55 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 17 January 2008, 23:55 »
I have left my car with a good friend on this forum, who put it through its MOT last week and passed :) - good old mk1's  :smiley:

A few bits will be done on the car, before it will go up for sale near spring/summer time.

and under shot :)

« Last Edit: 06 April 2011, 06:45 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 06 April 2009, 09:14 »
The SOY is on the move......

Last month the car moved from up North to down south again (back to my parents place) Thanks Lewy for looking after the car.

The car is going to be prepared for shipping to the USA :) later this year when I am back in the UK to finalize everything.

I've got big plans for the car once in the US, but I will explain more once I have it moved over.

SOLD - BLACK SOY 92