Author Topic: Si - mk2 driver  (Read 9054 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Si - mk2 driver
« on: 27 December 2005, 19:02 »
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Si

• I live here
Re: Si - mk2 driver
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2005, 08:12 »
Cheers chap!  :wink:

Well, i scrapped my 1989 Mk2 Vauxhall Astra GTE Estate, complete with SR Engine, gearbox, GTE bodykit, lowered, etc because of the rust! Gutted....Spent loads on that car and i loved it! Was like a fookin rocket!  :sad:

So....i was toying with idea of another Vauxhall, until my cousin bought a H-plate 90 Golf GTI 8v.
I loved that car but couldnt afford insurance so i got next best thing....A 1.6 'Driver'!!!  :rolleyes:

Bought it off an old bloke who owned a newsagent down my cousins road, he didnt want it because steering was too heavy and boot wasnt big enough to fit stuff in (he wanted a Passat Estate). The Golf looked a minter apart from 188,000 miles on the clock on a J-plate 91 and small dent in rear boot lid.
The milage didnt matter cause i had plans to fit GTI or similar engine to it when it finally blew up...unfortunately its now done 211,000 and still going strong!  :cool:
Anyway, i parted with £500 and that same morning bought a set of Team Dynamics 14" Alloys from a friend with brand new tyres for £100. They went on in the afternoon as did the tinted rear lights that i sprayed with dark tint spray!  :tongue:
I LOVE THE SOUND OF CARBS IN THE MORNING

Offline Si

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2005, 08:15 »
More photos....

Offline Si

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2005, 08:23 »
Drove the car around like this for a while and racked up the miles to and from work (120 miles a day)!!!
I was dissapointed with the fuel consumption as it averaged 250 miles to a tank but the performance was very good. Id never driven a VW before so didnt have a car to compare the performance to, was slower than my Astra but i expected that.  :smiley:

Next up was a full Ernst GTI 8v Exhaust system with stainless steel twin pipes backbox.
I expected it to be quite loud but for some reason it wasnt?! Anyway, looked ok and only cost me a tenner!

Offline Si

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2005, 08:32 »
A few weeks later my mate had a black 90-plate VW Jetta 1.6 TX in his garage, for an MOT but it failed, the bloke who owned it said it wasnt woth spending money on so i bought it off him for £20!  :cool:
I only wanted the Jetta front end, until i realised the 90' spec sill extensions and wheel arches would fit aswell!!! BARGAIN!
 So me and my mates dragged the Jetta back to my garage and started stripping it to a shell, saving most bits worth keeping, once the shell was scrapped i fitted the complete front end consisting of slam-panel, grill, and headlights.
Then got to work on fitting the Arches, and sill Extensions. Luckily there was no rust under original arches so i just fitted new items straight on!
I was thinking about cutting and moddifying the rear Jetta bumper to fit the golf (Jetta is longer because of boot) but thought it was easier to buy a genuine rear bumper from a show / auction.

Offline Si

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2005, 08:44 »
Drove the car round like that until the summer (show seasons start), first show was Volksfest near Bristol, took my 1969 Porsche Empi Imp Beach buggy along and put it on the Beach Buggy stand. -Which was cool cause i didnt even enter it, just drove it in and the marshalls stuck a sticker 'show car' on the windscreen and pointed us to the show area!  :cool:
At that show i bought a Genuine red rear Big Bumper, (the only genuine one they had) and some GMax -55mm lowering springs for £40

As soon as show was over i went home and lowered the car straight away!

The next morning got up bright and early, rubbed down bumper, fired up the compressor and primed / sprayed bumper...sweet!

The car went quite low (couldnt get jack out once lowered) but i wasnt that impressed. wanted it lower....

Offline Si

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2005, 08:51 »
This is how the car stayed for the summer until winter came along and ruined everything!!!  :angry:
It always goes wrong in the Winter?!
Well, i needed to replace front brake pads, so that was straight foward, then checked the rear drums...-had a leak on passenger side, so replaced the piston on the drum, then bled all brakes.
Next the car kept misfiring and not running right when warmed up, so i replaced the Ignition Module, HT Leads, Spark Plugs, and Dizzy cap. Worked fine for about a day!!!  :angry:
Then back to normal again... removed crappy Pierburg Carb and overhauled it, stripped it completely and cleaned everything on it.
Once refitted, the car ran lovely so i set it up on the Crypton and all was well...  :smiley:

Offline Si

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2005, 08:53 »
F*cked up AGAIN!!!!!  :huh:  :angry:
This time the rubber spacer had split between the Car and Inlet manifold!!
Replaced it, job done. Running lovely!  :smiley:

Offline Si

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2005, 08:55 »
Christmas 2004!!!  :santa:

Thought id give the car a Christmas pressy, flushed the engine, replaced Oil filter with non-genuine filter, and refilled with Castrol oil.
Proper Job!  :smiley:

Offline Si

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2005, 08:57 »
January 2005!!!

Car due for an MOT  :lipsrsealed:

......Throttle cable snapped on way to MOT station!!!  :angry:

Got it back to my garage and replaced it with the spare Cable i saved from the Jetta!  :rolleyes: