Author Topic: !! URGENT !! Does anyone have any ideas on this?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
!! URGENT !! Does anyone have any ideas on this?
« on: 20 October 2007, 18:16 »
Finally fitted my other 8v engine with piper cam and pulley, and when gettin the downpipe off the mainfold, every stud sheard off! As its tomor sunday i can't go and buy one and i need my car on Monday for a road trip.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to get around this problem.. i was thinkin drillin out the manifold and tapping the holes to M12 and then matching it up with the down pipe and drilling that out aswel..? then just get some new bolts and tighten em up, that sound like a feasible idea?

Cheers in advance

Russ
« Last Edit: 20 October 2007, 18:55 by russ-vdub »

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
Ahh this is such a nightmare!  :sick:
« Last Edit: 20 October 2007, 18:24 by russ-vdub »

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
Re: !! URGENT !! Does anyone have any ideas on this?
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2007, 19:42 »
you'll be drilling for a while, to get the damaged studs out... no advice really other than use another manifold? i know this doesn't help you now but...... :undecided:
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2007, 20:06 »
All depends on if you have the tools, but you could use a smaller drill and drill into the sheared studs and then use an extractor to bite into the stud's hole and then twist away. Ensure you have added plenty of WD40 to the studs before attempting this, otherwise the extractor could shear off too and it is made of hardened steel :lipsrsealed:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

TeddyKGB

« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2007, 21:50 »
Just drive with the manifold off you'll be fine :laugh: :grin: /jk

Only messin hope u got sorted :smiley:

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2007, 22:13 »
cheers for replies...managed to get it sorted this evening :)..drilled out all the busted studs, re-tapped them all and i'm just guna use some bolts instead of studs, so sorted :D :D well happy..

guna get up early tomor, slap the engine in, time it up and be away for my trip by late afternoon....thats if everythin goes to plan! (which i'm sure it will....not) lol