Author Topic: 1.8 Gti core plug fitting  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Mk2Kezza

• Here all the time
1.8 Gti core plug fitting
« on: 07 April 2006, 15:12 »
Ok, Core plug popped the other day  :sad: and is now letting all the water out of the engine like mad. I've seen that they are available from GSF for tuppence, so if fitting a case of placing over the hole and tapping the edge or is there a bit technique to it than that??
<br />Almost finished.....

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: 1.8 Gti core plug fitting
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2006, 01:11 »
I've fitted one to a 1.8 GTI before. It was one of the 3 rear ones. I used a bit of gasket type sealant around the edge and then tapped it in. Never had a problem with it leaking.

Offline Mk2Kezza

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2006, 12:13 »
This is one of those three, judging by its position it must be the middle one of the three?!

It sounds quite straight forward. Was the engine still in the car when you did it? We are thinking of jacking it up and getting at it from underneath. Just out of curiousity, did you tap it in with a hammer or a hammer and a piece of wood?

Thanks RichandHazel
<br />Almost finished.....

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2006, 13:16 »
I did fit it 'insitu'. It was on a mk1 Golf GTI. Actually now that I think about it, I couldn't get the hammer in there. I seem to remember using my black hawk kit to hydraulically press it in........bracing it against a lump of wood. You could probably do the same with a jack.