Author Topic: Mk2 Golf Brake Bias Pedal Box  (Read 10520 times)

Offline powerhand

• Not said much yet
  • Mk2 Golf Track Car
Mk2 Golf Brake Bias Pedal Box
« on: 09 March 2013, 13:56 »
Hi,

I'm hoping I can tap into the corporate knowledge to help me make a decision.

First off, I have a Mk2 Golf track car. It's fitted with a VAG 1.8T and I usually run it at 290bhp.  It's got 4-pot AP Racing front brakes and Mk4 rears. It's been fully lightened, roll caged, race seats, harnesses etc etc - you get the idea.

I'm thinking of replacing the standard pedal box for a brake bias pedal box; something like this:

The reasons are twofold. Firstly, to improve the brake feel and reduce pedal travel, and second to move the master cylinder and servo away from the rear mounted turbo, where they get quite hot.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of pedal box? Is it worth it? Is there something else I should be improving/replacing before this?

I know there are some very knowledgeable track-goers on the forum and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions!

Thanks

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Mk2 Golf Brake Bias Pedal Box
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2013, 18:26 »
TBH at the level where you NEED one of those you are probably better off asking on a motorsport dedicated forum rather than here.

sorry, but I can't think of anyone who runs a third party pedal box like that in a Golf2.  You'd need to think pretty carefully about how to mount it.

You can change the pedal travel with different size master cylinders, so maybe switch around on that before fitting a pedal box like that?  You can also re-wire the braking system so you have a line off to each of the fronts, then a bias valve on a single line to the rear.  In a G2 with a 1.8T at the front you're going to need to wind the rear bias RIGHT down as the rear wheels really are just following the fronts around.  Personally I found re-wiring the braking system and replacing the rear compensator with a bias valve made a big difference to the feel of the brakes.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2013, 21:24 »
Seat Ibiza Cupra is a 23mm master cylinder and in theory should give you the best pedal feel and it is a stubby m/c so should miss the head on that 20v of yours...

Pedal boxes like above can be had for cheapish money ive looked numerous times on ebay... I cant see them being that hard to fit as everything based on you and where you want the pedal mounted to where you have your seat.. Most people mount the reservoir's to either a bar or in the scuttle panel area.. but tbh can be mounted inside if wanted.. There are tonnes of info on the forums out there but tbh cant see why not just changing the m/c to a better one and maybe a heat shield and good fluid could save you loads...
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline powerhand

• Not said much yet
  • Mk2 Golf Track Car
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2013, 20:27 »
You'd need to think pretty carefully about how to mount it.

DH, thanks very much for the reply. This particular pedal box is car specific, so they're designed to bolt directly to the floor pan without cutting or welding (apparently).

In a G2 with a 1.8T at the front you're going to need to wind the rear bias RIGHT down as the rear wheels really are just following the fronts around.

My setup sounds very similar. I've got an inline bias valve next to the handbrake and have the rears almost wound off.

Personally I found re-wiring the braking system and replacing the rear compensator with a bias valve made a big difference to the feel of the brakes.

Seat Ibiza Cupra is a 23mm master cylinder and in theory should give you the best pedal feel and it is a stubby m/c so should miss the head on that 20v of yours...

just changing the m/c to a better one and maybe a heat shield and good fluid could save you loads...

Thanks for your advice - sounds like a master cylinder swap is probably the way to go first!

Cheers.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2013, 11:18 »
If you search for it on ebay there is a seller who is awesome and for about £25 send you a m/c and a 3mm adaptor plate well worth it imo as a standard one is more expensive than that on its own
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2013, 17:02 »
If you search for it on ebay there is a seller who is awesome and for about £25 send you a m/c and a 3mm adaptor plate well worth it imo as a standard one is more expensive than that on its own

This is what I bought for my mk2 20vT.
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline powerhand

• Not said much yet
  • Mk2 Golf Track Car
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2013, 08:36 »

This is what I bought for my mk2 20vT.

I don't suppose you have the sellers eBay name, do you? I've done a search but come up with nothing. Thanks.

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2013, 17:46 »
This was the bloke;

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/gsxfart/

I dare say if you message him, he might be able to get you one. Pretty sure he didn't have much in his shop when I bought mine either, so definitely worth a message!
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19