Author Topic: GTD decommissions and departs after a 2 year good relationship  (Read 7943 times)

Offline AdmiralGant

• Not said much yet
Well it is time to say good bye to my GTD 5dr DSG auto in mineral grey. First ever VW, first hot(ish) hatch. Previous car was a 6 cyl 325d M Sport BMW, so if anything was degrading rather than up.

Overall a very pleasing two years, really enjoyed the car, it still looks to me as good as it did shape/style wise and will age well.

Highlights

- mineral grey is a lovely colour, looks great when clean, looks black when light is low or at night
- the xenon headlights are really good, the cornering lights great
- performance on overtaking is amazing, loads of pull, motorway driving too, loads of shove
- the car is very refined generally, great at high speed, calm, smooth, not one squeak from inside the car ever
- standard radio/hifi system is excellent, I like a good sound system but really don't see the need to upgrade
- standard tartan seats have worn very well, look as good as new after 25000 miles
- adaptive suspension money well spent, sport mode nice, comfort great this time of year with eco engine mode
- heated seats very fast and love them from October until at least April
- build quality more than an equal to previous BMW's and Mercedes
- DSG box very very good, love the choice to change manually, but must admit rarely ever use the paddles
- adaptive cruise control - enjoyed it so much, ordered it on the next new car, makes a long journey relaxing
- very subjective on here - but I really like the noise when in sport mode

Negatives

- despite the gov mpg claims, my fuel consumption has been awful, only got an average of 41mpg
- driving in hilly North Yorkshire moors in low gears, you know you have a 4 pot oil burner, but on the whole it is refined
- it does not take long for the rear screen and tailgate to get covered in muck when wet and dust in summer
- the touch screen went wrong, it froze strangely last winter in sub zero temperatures and needed a complete replacement and after a frost a week ago it looks like the new one is doing it again
- front wheel drive wheel spin from a start! You simply cannot floor it like a rear drive car, dry or wet

I will have fond memories of her and thank the forum for lots of help before I ordered on spec, colours etc   :smiley::smiley:
Fleet

On Order - BMW 330d M Sport with M Sport Plus pack, voodoo lights, adaptive cruise, dampers - Battleship

Decommissioned 20/1/16 - GTD Mk 7 DSG 5dr Carbon Grey, ACC, Winter Pack, Class - Pocket Battleship (Flagship) - commissioned 21/1/14

Seat Ibiza FR TDI 130, Flame Red, Class - Frigate - commissioned 01/09/07

Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+, quasar grey, Class - destroyer - commissioned 30/11/08

Suzuki Bandit 650, red, Class - covette - commissioned 01/09/05

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTD decommissions and departs after a 2 year good relationship
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2016, 19:52 »
Nice write up, I can relate to most of that!

What have you got lined up as a replacement?
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2016, 21:22 »

Probably HMS Queen Elizabeth (Aircraft Carrier).Shortly beginning sea trials out of Rosyth Dockyard. :wink:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2016, 23:03 »

Probably HMS Queen Elizabeth (Aircraft Carrier).Shortly beginning sea trials out of Rosyth Dockyard. :wink:
Spec? Looking forward to a pic in new arrivals (but careful with that turning circle, I hear it's worse than the R's!)

But seriously, all the best with your endeavours.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2016, 08:58 »
all I will say is

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2016, 21:26 »
all I will say is

Admiral Grant has defected to to East Germany?.(In a Deutschland 83 stylee).

I'd agree with the MPG bit especially.Never have i owned a car (and there have been many) where the official MPG differs so much from the reality).
« Last Edit: 15 January 2016, 21:29 by Restlessnative »
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline AdmiralGant

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2016, 20:28 »
HAHA - love the naval flags, regrettably command of the carrier task force has not been granted, I will remain a desk Admiral at Whitehall London  :rolleyes:

Next vessel is a 16 plate BMW 330d M Sport Auto with too many extras to list. She arrives March the 4th. Looking forward to 0-60 in 5.5 secs  :smug:

The GTD was collected by the lease company last week and I was quite sad to see them drive her off, as the chap who worked for the lease company commented, if you ever needed one all round decent car, this is it, in this trim and power output......a fine parting comment as she disappeared down the road.........
Fleet

On Order - BMW 330d M Sport with M Sport Plus pack, voodoo lights, adaptive cruise, dampers - Battleship

Decommissioned 20/1/16 - GTD Mk 7 DSG 5dr Carbon Grey, ACC, Winter Pack, Class - Pocket Battleship (Flagship) - commissioned 21/1/14

Offline AdmiralGant

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2016, 20:30 »
Oh and I meant Carbon grey not Mineral, that will be the BMW colour  :rolleyes:
Fleet