Author Topic: Pre-Reg GTD?  (Read 7923 times)

Offline Anatonic

• Just got here
Pre-Reg GTD?
« on: 30 March 2015, 12:13 »
Hi chaps!

New to the board but been a lurker for a little while - I'm just finalising getting a Mk7 GTD as my next car after a couple of test drives.  I do around 20k a year, sticking around £2k down and then financing the rest over 36-48 months via PCP (in line with my company car allowance).

As I'm in need of changing pretty sharpish (within the next month) I've had a wide variety of quotes on 'nearly new' GTDs - most of which come in around the £500 a month mark due to the higher APR on used of 10.9% - 11.9%.  However, I've noted recently that Windrush (think it's Slough) have a couple of pre-registered GTDs in stock which are available immediately, and have reasonable spec.

However, they were both registered in mid-November (17/11/2014 to be precise) and they have been static cars ever since.  As such they can do a closer to finance for a new model of 7.6% APR and I get the added benefit of the 3 year / 30k service, which in my case would need to be done every 10k.  Works out a little better at £450-£460 a month which is about perfect given my car allowance (plus considering the mileage which ramps monthly costs up).  I'm being given around £7650 as GMFV for these cars based on 80k on them at the end of the agreement.

Has anyone else ever bought a pre-reg car?  Should I be concerned that it was pre-reg'd in November and still hasn't been shifted?  Seems a long time for a car to be sat there, especially given the 5 month wait I've been quoted by two VW dealerships for a new GTD order...  What should I be battling for in terms of a decent finance rate from VWFS?

Any help greatly appreciated!

The cars in question are below - the more expensive having the Winter Pack which was one of my 'must haves'.  Is there anything on these that is considered a must have option that isn't included?

http://www.windrush.co.uk/approvedused/details.htm?item_id=4777

http://www.windrush.co.uk/approvedused/details.htm?item_id=4779

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Pre-Reg GTD?
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2015, 12:44 »
Can't spot the extras, but the most expensive one is DSG and the cheaper one isn't.

Both on 50 miles? Sounds a bit weird - I guess they both came in together.

LSG is not a popular colour, mine is LSG... some people say its "metallic beige". I guess it is lol.

On the other hand, it does mean people don't try and race you often... which is a good thing in my book!

Personally, in your position, I'd be tempted - you can afford it it looks like, the cars are there now (no 6 month wait!) and you have a choice of manual or DSG.

Its a 64 reg, which will depress the value vs a 15, but if you pay less to start with and can have it now. Worth it I think!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2015, 13:22 »
If the price is right then why not. Peronally, if it is on a 64 plate, it already looks 7 months old and so I would be expecting a discount to suit. Bearing in mind you can get 12% off a GTD if you're willing to wait, and a GTD will (on average) be depreciating £250 a month, i'd want to be paying at least a grand less than 88% of RRP to take it over a new one. I suppose it's all relative to how much of a hurry you are in to take delivery.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Anatonic

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2015, 13:51 »
Thanks guys - I guess there is no harm in going back to the dealer with that sort of info as a starting point.

I'd prefer DSG given my mileage and motorway jaunts, and if I rough up a similar spec via DriveTheDeal to get a feel for discounts, I could make an argument that I'm happy to wait to for a new car (they don't know I'm wanting to move quickly) to see if they'll move on the price (plus the fact it's a 64-plate and been sat for a few months)

The colour is a bit marmite, but I quite like it - it's different and a bit more under the radar!

I'll let you know how I get on! :D

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2015, 14:04 »
The only "extra" besides DSG I would look for is what infotainment unit each have? Is it the basic composition media system or Nav or Nav Pro.

Personally, as a big road user (25k pa) , I'd want Nav.... because the convenience is massive!

Which one, I wouldn't care - I have Navpro but unlikely to spec it again.

I think with a 1.5k price difference, they are both the same bar DSG....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2015, 14:07 »
Looking again, both are fitted with Nav. The manual has sport and sound though!

Sold!

Have the manual one, save some money on purchase price ***AND*** VED (DSG is 3 groups higher than manual on a 5 door) and enjoy the lush exhaust note!

Offline Anatonic

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2015, 15:08 »
Blimey I never realised that!

If I'm looking right, that makes the DSG £110 per year and the Manual £20 a year in VED?  :shocked:

I've always had a manual (bar the wife's Evoque) and I figured DSG might be the 'better' everyday option... or possibly I'm just getting lazy with age!!  The only other trade off being the DSG has Winter Pack and Manual doesn't... sport and sound pack isn't a dealbreaker, but the VED has genuinely shocked me!  That's £360 saved over the ownership term.

Plus lower purchase price initially as well!  The Nav wasn't going to be a huge issue as I use Waze on iPhone generally on a Brodit mount, but having it built in is a bonus I suspect - will make life a little easier :)  Think it's time to make a decision and see what the dealer will do on these cars...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2015, 15:18 »
Yes, there is a weird thing I spotted the other week and posted about on here.

A 3 door GTD is the same VED class with DSG or manual, a 5 door is massively more for DSG vs manual.

Why? Haven't got a clue!

Your projected figures are assuming that VED rates don't increase over the next 3 years too - I can't imagine they will stay the same, but the 2nd and 3rd year rates aren't available because the bastids havent set them yet. What you can know is that a band B will always be less than a band D!

Have the manual, save the money on purchase price, enjoy sport and sound (red calipers look lovely with LSG colour!) and don't pay the guvmint so many pennies :D

Offline Anatonic

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2015, 15:31 »
Right... time for a phonecall!!  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Golf-Ball

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2015, 19:43 »
Pre-reg cars can often not be sold for three months from the date of registration - I know having just purchased one. I don't think the car having sat around is anything to worry about and one of the advantages is you get to test drive the actual car you'd be buying.

Saw a car in Limestone Grey today. I like it and I think it suits the GTD.