Author Topic: Oil use in Mk7 GTD  (Read 19585 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Oil use in Mk7 GTD
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2014, 17:52 »
VAG diesels do seem to use a bit of oil apparently by design as others have said. The Mini we used to have used none at all in almost 3 years. Perhaps it's the fuel contamination from the DPF process thinning the oil and it passing into the combustion process, I think BMW use a chemical process on the mini?

Above all in my experience it would seem granny driving and softly softly in the first few thousand miles on a diesel will give you increased oil usage.

I'd disagree that use of some oil by design seems to be the norm. I'm on my 7th TDI from new and my Dad is on my 4th. Save for 1 of those 11 cars, we've never had to top up between services.

I'd agree that a very soft run in is probably the most common culprit for "acceptable" oil use. My 1 problem TDI (as far as oil use goes spent it's first 800 miles sat on the motorway doing 75mph in 6th. It used a litre in the first 350 miles after i'd driven it from Burnley (it was picked up from there - broker car) down to Southampton (where my parents now live) and across the ferry to LeHavre where it immediately asked for a top up. When I drove it back up to Newcastle, it needed a top up, and was thirsty for oil (crap mpg too) the whole time I had it.

I'll never run a car in like that again, varied driving around the doors for a month before I do a 100+ mile journey in the next one.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2014, 17:54 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2014, 08:06 »
My GTD as well (13 months old), didn't need any top ups before it's first service back in September. Dipstick still on full. My last CR TDI Scirocco (140ps) didn't either.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 30 October 2014, 09:52 »
VAG diesels do seem to use a bit of oil apparently by design as others have said. The Mini we used to have used none at all in almost 3 years. Perhaps it's the fuel contamination from the DPF process thinning the oil and it passing into the combustion process, I think BMW use a chemical process on the mini?

Above all in my experience it would seem granny driving and softly softly in the first few thousand miles on a diesel will give you increased oil usage.

I'd disagree that use of some oil by design seems to be the norm. I'm on my 7th TDI from new and my Dad is on my 4th. Save for 1 of those 11 cars, we've never had to top up between services.

I'd agree that a very soft run in is probably the most common culprit for "acceptable" oil use. My 1 problem TDI (as far as oil use goes spent it's first 800 miles sat on the motorway doing 75mph in 6th. It used a litre in the first 350 miles after i'd driven it from Burnley (it was picked up from there - broker car) down to Southampton (where my parents now live) and across the ferry to LeHavre where it immediately asked for a top up. When I drove it back up to Newcastle, it needed a top up, and was thirsty for oil (crap mpg too) the whole time I had it.

I'll never run a car in like that again, varied driving around the doors for a month before I do a 100+ mile journey in the next one.

They wouldn't give you the top up oil if they didn't expect it to be used. You don't get them with petrol cars IME. My Audi handbook states consumption may be higher in the first 5000km. They know they use oil, give you something to temper the initial high usage then you're on your own. Granny it at your peril  :grin:

Given your posts on here you seem to drive similarly to me - our GTD hasn't used any so far as it was given the firm but fair "run in" :) My own A4 was terrible when I got it with 20k on the clock as it had been driven lazily. Once I'd broken it in properly the consumption has dropped to nothing at 70k, I don't need to top up between services. Similar to your experience with the early motorway driving on previous cars.

As with everything your mileage may vary. All engines are different.

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 30 October 2014, 11:15 »
Hi all

First post do be gentle.

I've had the GTD for about 9 months now and I have put 16,000 miles on it so far, just had the oil light come on again and topped her up with her second litre of oil which for me seems like a lot?  Our Skoda Fabia 1.6tdi and the Transporter van I have for work don't  need topping up from one service to the next.

How much oil is everyone else using?

Thanks

It could be worse.  I have had to top up at approx 8,000 miles and again at approx 16,000 miles.  I did about 20,000 miles in 10 months of ownership.  It will be interesting to see how far the 'long life' oil I got on my 20k service will last me.
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 30 October 2014, 12:24 »
They wouldn't give you the top up oil if they didn't expect it to be used. You don't get them with petrol cars IME. My Audi handbook states consumption may be higher in the first 5000km. They know they use oil, give you something to temper the initial high usage then you're on your own. Granny it at your peril  :grin:

Given your posts on here you seem to drive similarly to me - our GTD hasn't used any so far as it was given the firm but fair "run in" :) My own A4 was terrible when I got it with 20k on the clock as it had been driven lazily. Once I'd broken it in properly the consumption has dropped to nothing at 70k, I don't need to top up between services. Similar to your experience with the early motorway driving on previous cars.

As with everything your mileage may vary. All engines are different.

"Free" oil isn't given as standard, some dealerships give it away, some don't just as some give a bunch of flowers away and stick a VW Umbrella in the boot (and some won't even give you 2 keyrings, one for each key). I've even had the same dealership give it for 1 car and not for the next (I drove a harder bargain on the second one, maybe that had something to do with it?).

Firm but fair is the way to go. Plenty of variety, don't be afraid to give it 2/3 throttle and get it up to 3500rpm when it is warm (within the first 1000 miles).

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 30 October 2014, 13:07 »
"Free" oil isn't given as standard, some dealerships give it away, some don't just as some give a bunch of flowers away and stick a VW Umbrella in the boot (and some won't even give you 2 keyrings, one for each key). I've even had the same dealership give it for 1 car and not for the next (I drove a harder bargain on the second one, maybe that had something to do with it?).

Firm but fair is the way to go. Plenty of variety, don't be afraid to give it 2/3 throttle and get it up to 3500rpm when it is warm (within the first 1000 miles).

Interesting, our VW dealer said something that implied it was always supplied with the car. It's in a small zip up pouch and I'm sure it was present in the car off the transporter (we had a nose round before it was PDI'd). Maybe some dealers remove it? I can't check the labels on anything as the car isn't here.

We certainly didn't get given the MDI cable the car came with...ours is USB so not a big deal.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 30 October 2014, 13:31 »
Phazer: The harder bargain I drive, the fewer freebies I seem to get with each new car.