Author Topic: GTD acceleration responsiveness  (Read 21323 times)

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
Re: GTD acceleration responsiveness
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2014, 20:23 »
I thought the soundaktor depended on the engine mode?  If this is true then this further complicates things!
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2014, 20:41 »
Doesn't happen in my gtd but I think monkey is right in that when the engine is cold it's got some sort of limiter on it until the water temp has moved and maybe even the oil too.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2014, 21:37 »
I thought the soundaktor depended on the engine mode?  If this is true then this further complicates things!

It does. When my car is set to sport or the individual engine mode is set to sport, the soundaktor is performing as expected, the steering is acting as per sport. Flitting modes after start-up is definitely changing the low end characteristics of the engine, as if my car is always driving as per the normal setting without me changing it. Have been out again this evening. The car pulls hard from 1700 rpm after changing modes rather than from 2100rpm if I leave it alone. The DTUK box negates the difference, but as it's essentially amplifying the car's normal throttle responses, the difference can still be felt.

Glad it's not just me, it sometimes does seem like some weird ECU glitch, mcmaddy's car was built just 3 weeks after mine and his behaves normally. The cold limiter is something completely different again as I can get that and the mode switch changes too. The cold protection seems to be in place until the water hits 90 or the oil hits 50 (hard to tell as the 2 temp events happen about the same time when it is not freezing.

A weird thing also happened later today, the fans came on when I parked up, they were blaring (as usual when the DPF is trying to cool) until I turned the engine off, then they settled down to a fan speed about 1/3 blaring speed. Never had variable non-ignition fan speeds before, the car has either been blaring or they've not been on at all. I'll mention the modes thing when I take my car for it's first service. I'm at about 7300 miles now, so it'll be due end July/start Aug.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2014, 08:28 »
Just recently I've been thinking I could detect a bit of variability in response and wondered if it could be down to fuel. I'll try mode switching as you have and post back what happens. Agree 100% with MH on the outcome if given to a dealer to investigate. Hopefully a software update at servicing might sort it?
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2014, 09:34 »
What I find really weird about this issue is that the car has found a way to separate throttle response from soundaktor function within the "engine" setting on the modes.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2014, 10:20 »
Just out of interest the manual states you can only change modes while standing still and not on the move. Maybe the mode ecu gets confused if you change whilst moving but it's a bit rubbish of you need to pull over every time you want to change mode. Still haven't had this issue on my car though and I change modes while driving.

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2014, 11:27 »
Changing modes whilst driving works fine, the manual must be wrong or is advising rather than being a limitation; I only ever remember reading a warning in the manual that the drive style will change so don't flaw it

Plus if other GTD owners don't have the same issues as requiring to change out and in to Sport to activate it this must be a defect/bug mustn't it?

I certainly don't remember reading anything that the engine defaults away from sport each time the engine is switched off
« Last Edit: 05 May 2014, 11:46 by adekil »
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 05 May 2014, 18:39 »

Plus if other GTD owners don't have the same issues as requiring to change out and in to Sport to activate it this must be a defect/bug mustn't it?

I certainly don't remember reading anything that the engine defaults away from sport each time the engine is switched off

I'd say this has to be a bug in the software rather than a flaw in an old software version if your car was made at the same time as mcmaddy's or later. mine was a BW 33, mcmaddy's was BW 36 (if I remember rightly) and i'm guessing yours will be BW 36/37 if you got yours 3 weeks after me.
I definitely feel/hear mode change come in when changing on the move.

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2014, 19:02 »
Think I will get it booked in anyway on the off chance they have a software update or heard of this before (which I doubt) - At least after a day or 2 I will get the car back valeted. I'm not wagering £1 though on a fix.
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2014, 21:07 »
Changing modes whilst driving works fine, the manual must be wrong or is advising rather than being a limitation; I only ever remember reading a warning in the manual that the drive style will change so don't flaw it

I know changing modes while driving works OK but the manual states to do it before setting off. I wouldn't necessarily believe the manual either but it's down for all to see. Maybe VW can clarify if it's porkies or not?