Author Topic: Exhaust Query  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
Exhaust Query
« on: 22 May 2017, 11:30 »
Morning people, I've has a 3" downpipe & decat made for my 1.8t Mk4 Golf (AUM). Im booked in the Friday to have the remainder of the system made, its £450 for 3" catback or £400 for 2.5", my question is, is there much difference? & is it even worth spending the extra £50?
2002 Golf Gti 1.8T (AUM) LC9Z

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Exhaust Query
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 12:56 »
2.5 will do the job. Are you later on thinking of going silly bhp because then a 3 inch would help with exhaust flow.
From memery i think over 300bhp 3inch comes in to play

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2017, 13:10 »
Cool, that saves some money lol. Not planning on crazy power, realistically I am look around 210ish possibly a touch more but definitely no more than 230.

Ive read online that some people think they're losing performance with a smaller pipe following the downpipe?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2017, 16:49 »
I know of an s3 thats running 280 and that was on a 2.5system. Its personal preferance i think mate. Some people prefere a 3inch as they think the gasses leave easier.
Its the same as a middle silencer vs no middle silencer.

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2017, 10:54 »
I know of an s3 thats running 280 and that was on a 2.5system. Its personal preferance i think mate. Some people prefere a 3inch as they think the gasses leave easier.

Ah I see, Im just after a nice growl, Not too droney on idle & motorway speeds but a nice noise when you put your foot down.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2017, 21:54 »

Ah I see, Im just after a nice growl, Not too droney on idle & motorway speeds but a nice noise when you put your foot down.

Stick with 2.5 if you want to have a conversation  :wink:

The main restriction is in the CAT which you've removed

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2017, 12:57 »

Stick with 2.5 if you want to have a conversation  :wink:

The main restriction is in the CAT which you've removed

Hahaha Cheers for the advice mate