Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2763178 times)

Offline SNR

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #940 on: 07 May 2014, 11:06 »
Lightly scuffed the polished part of a GTD Nogaro alloy. Bizarre incident. V upset! Anyone recommend a repairer?

Offline GTI7me

• Here all the time
« Reply #941 on: 07 May 2014, 11:08 »
Technically didn't do this today but not had a chance to take a photo yet.  Plasti-dipped the VW emblem on the back, leaving the gloss backing un-painted so it matches my front badge.

:cool:

Looks spot on Monsta! How did you find taking the rear badge off?

J

2013 GTI (GONE) - 2014 GTI Performance Pack - Manual, Discover Nav, 5 door, Park Assist

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #942 on: 07 May 2014, 13:18 »

Looks spot on Monsta! How did you find taking the rear badge off?

J

I took the whole badge assembly off the car and then used a combination of blunt flat instruments to encourage the chrome bit away from the body.  It's quite a tricky thing but as long as you take your time and have patience you can get thee in the end.

In hindsight it might be possible to get it off without removing the whole thing from the car, but the problem is getting access to all sides, you tend to tilt the boot handle and then half of it is inside the hatch so you have no way to get your  little screwdriver in there to prise it off.

I might be taking it off again as the coat of plasti-dip isn't as smooth as I'd like, if I do then I promise to take step by step pics!

Offline GTI7me

• Here all the time
« Reply #943 on: 07 May 2014, 16:00 »
Cheers Monsta, I would appreciate that. How do you take the entire assembly off?

J

2013 GTI (GONE) - 2014 GTI Performance Pack - Manual, Discover Nav, 5 door, Park Assist

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #944 on: 07 May 2014, 16:03 »
Just bought myself a private reg for the car  :smiley:
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline Buggaluggs

• Not said much yet
« Reply #945 on: 07 May 2014, 17:51 »
I know this is a bit of a marmite mod but I think I like it. It will only take take 2 mins to change back if I get bored  :whistle: :whistle:
I would have had this one licked a couple of weeks ago as I had planned to just change the bulbs as I had done in my Scirocco but the Mk7 has got sealed Led bulb holders rather than a bulb and holder.
Thanks to Sootchucker for the advice but eBay let me down. I couldn't find any bulb holders anywhere on there so bit the bullet and went to my local VW dealer thinking my under crackers would be around my ankles within seconds but no !!
2 genuine lamp units were only £9.12 each.    Part No:  V7L0 947 415
Delivered next day.
Excuse the poor photos but iPads don't do dark !! But you get the idea.

Hello mate I,m sorry if I am stating the obvious but I assume you have changed the footwell lights on your Golf so you could then change the bulbs for red ones? This is a mod I would like to do, I spoke to my VW dealer today and he is happy to order a pair for me but he tells me they are clear bulbs etc. Assuming you changed the holders and the bulbs where did you get the bulbs from if you don't mind my asking, thanks Peter.
'Never rub another mans rhubarb!'

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #946 on: 07 May 2014, 18:13 »
Cheers Monsta, I would appreciate that. How do you take the entire assembly off?

J

You have to take the trim off the inside of the hatch and then there are a selection of torx head bolts (plus one cable).

Offline GTI7me

• Here all the time
« Reply #947 on: 07 May 2014, 18:21 »
Doesn't look too difficult then. Maybe i will attempt this one warm summers weekend.

J

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #948 on: 07 May 2014, 19:38 »
I know this is a bit of a marmite mod but I think I like it. It will only take take 2 mins to change back if I get bored  :whistle: :whistle:
I would have had this one licked a couple of weeks ago as I had planned to just change the bulbs as I had done in my Scirocco but the Mk7 has got sealed Led bulb holders rather than a bulb and holder.
Thanks to Sootchucker for the advice but eBay let me down. I couldn't find any bulb holders anywhere on there so bit the bullet and went to my local VW dealer thinking my under crackers would be around my ankles within seconds but no !!
2 genuine lamp units were only £9.12 each.    Part No:  V7L0 947 415
Delivered next day.
Excuse the poor photos but iPads don't do dark !! But you get the idea.

Hello mate I,m sorry if I am stating the obvious but I assume you have changed the footwell lights on your Golf so you could then change the bulbs for red ones? This is a mod I would like to do, I spoke to my VW dealer today and he is happy to order a pair for me but he tells me they are clear bulbs etc. Assuming you changed the holders and the bulbs where did you get the bulbs from if you don't mind my asking, thanks Peter.

Yes I ordered these and then changed the bulbs for these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-5-SMD-CAR-LED-W5W-T10-501-SIDE-LIGHT-BULBS-RED-/221008248443?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160
No problems so far.
Hope this helps   :wink:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #949 on: 07 May 2014, 22:21 »
Never bought a Richbrook tax disc holder as seems to be the craze in here  :grin: although I was tempted.
Just as well as I see from November you no longer need to display your tax disc
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/direct-debit-and-abolition-of-the-tax-disc
Great as I hate trying to clean around it.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2014, 22:24 by p3asa »
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14