Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2740573 times)

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #560 on: 30 January 2014, 20:49 »
Yep the head up display tells you which tyre, made a detour to work yesterday and the warning came on, so I got out and could hear the dreaded sound of air leaving the tyre  :angry:

Found a piece of metal about half an inch long stick out of the centre of the tyre, so I had to swap the wheel in the rain and just so you are all prepared the wheel brace is really short so I had to find some piping at work.

Took the tyre to my local tyre centre and he told me they don't do the Continental Contact 2's anymore, so he said he would look but it would be most likely a contact 3! I really didn't want this as I've only covered 1200 miles, so a non matching tyre already would be awful. Luckily he got me one but said he had to call around. I can't believe they are already being end of line as so many of us have them! so is he telling porkies?

Anyone new tyre for £129 fitted and all ok again!

Sleg

No he's right conti sport contact 2's have been superseded by sport contact 3's.  There will be old stock still around though.  Bit naughty of vw putting cars out with a discontinued tyre.
What about the sport contact 5?

Do you mean, are they being discontinued?   Not to my knowledge.  I have 5p's and no problems getting those.  Had 2 new one's recently.
Dont the 5's supersede the 3's?
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #561 on: 30 January 2014, 21:11 »
Yep the head up display tells you which tyre, made a detour to work yesterday and the warning came on, so I got out and could hear the dreaded sound of air leaving the tyre  :angry:

Found a piece of metal about half an inch long stick out of the centre of the tyre, so I had to swap the wheel in the rain and just so you are all prepared the wheel brace is really short so I had to find some piping at work.

Took the tyre to my local tyre centre and he told me they don't do the Continental Contact 2's anymore, so he said he would look but it would be most likely a contact 3! I really didn't want this as I've only covered 1200 miles, so a non matching tyre already would be awful. Luckily he got me one but said he had to call around. I can't believe they are already being end of line as so many of us have them! so is he telling porkies?

Anyone new tyre for £129 fitted and all ok again!

Sleg

No he's right conti sport contact 2's have been superseded by sport contact 3's.  There will be old stock still around though.  Bit naughty of vw putting cars out with a discontinued tyre.
What about the sport contact 5?

Do you mean, are they being discontinued?   Not to my knowledge.  I have 5p's and no problems getting those.  Had 2 new one's recently.
Dont the 5's supersede the 3's?

Edit:  not sure tbh  If in doubt take a look on the website.

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/www/tyres_uk_en/themes/car-tyres/standard-car-tyres/contisportcontact/

The SC5 and SC5p's are high and ultra high performance tyres in the SC line up.  The only real difference between 5 and 5p is size options and speed index
« Last Edit: 30 January 2014, 21:29 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #562 on: 31 January 2014, 07:21 »
conti 2's are still widely available and haven't been discontinued. the ones on my car were manufactured just recently.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #563 on: 31 January 2014, 08:04 »
conti 2's are still widely available and haven't been discontinued. the ones on my car were manufactured just recently.

A lot of confusion over this.  They were supposed to be phasing them out, but maybe that's no longer the case! 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline jivemonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #564 on: 31 January 2014, 08:57 »

A lot of confusion over this.  They were supposed to be phasing them out, but maybe that's no longer the case!

I had Conti 2s on my Mk6 and had to change to the Conti 3s when I got a puncture, was told that they don't manufacture them anymore and they've been superseded. Seems strange people are getting other information!
Golf VII GTD | 5dr DSG | Deep Pearl Black | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | High Beam Assist | "Advanced" Phone Prep

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #565 on: 31 January 2014, 13:18 »
Maybe they only make them for OEM fitting for car manuacturers at huge discount - no development costs tagged onto the cost of them and officially they are obsolete - does make it a bugger if you do need a replacement thought.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #566 on: 31 January 2014, 17:47 »
actually that sounds right matt. I'm sure I got told that by the local seat dealer a while ago. not a bad tyre if I'm honest but won't be putting conti 3s on because of the cracking issue on them.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #567 on: 31 January 2014, 17:59 »
Agree that sound right too, and it does actually state on the conti website that they are still fitted as oem on many vehicle makes

"ContiSportContact™ 2

High performance tyre - predecessor to the current ContiSportContactTM 3

Predecessor to the current ContiSportContact 3 , the ContiSportContact 2 has excellent braking and cornering safety, ultra-precise steering response and outstanding traction and grip on wet and dry surfaces.This hugely successful tyre is still fitted as original equipment on many vehicles including Ford Focus and Galaxy, Audi A4, Saab 9.3 and 9.5, Renault Megane, plus many others.
"
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #568 on: 31 January 2014, 18:25 »
I'd rather have them than my Bridgestones, although they don't seem to have been as slippery over the last week.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #569 on: 31 January 2014, 19:06 »
I had a set of Conti 5 s on my mk 6 . Excellent tyre and instant increase in mpg after they replaced the Bridgestones.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.