Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2777093 times)

Offline monsta

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #420 on: 07 January 2014, 10:41 »

Definitely not my cup of Tea. Some mods should be left alone

Different strokes for different folks as they say.  However I was in two minds about it too, but the beauty of plasti dip is I can just peel it off when I get bored.

Anyway the mk1 GTI had a black VW badge on the front, it's a nostalgia thing  :smiley:

Offline Dan Burnley

• Not said much yet
« Reply #421 on: 07 January 2014, 10:48 »

Did you put an overcoat on it? ive found in the past that plastidip on front facing parts last about 20miles on the m1 lol

Nope, wanted to see if I liked the look without going  to too much effort.  Fully prepared to paint it again later if I want it long term  :smiley:

I dont know, i think the whole black on grey look is spot on. I wouldnt be doing it on mine however, black on white is a bit overdone imo.

Each to their own CraigW. I agree Graham, I also think the black on grey look is spot on!
GTD

Offline Dan Burnley

• Not said much yet
« Reply #422 on: 07 January 2014, 10:51 »
Used "Plasti-dip" to turn my VW badge matt black  :smiley:

The beauty of plasti-dip is that you can just peel it off when you get bored as it's basically rubber paint  :cool:

Can you also get the Plasti-dip in gloss black? Saw a picture of a white Mk7 GTD with black wheels last week and I thought hmmmmm, looked gorgeous... :shocked:

GTD

Offline titusrider

• Not said much yet
« Reply #423 on: 07 January 2014, 10:52 »
Got a quote today for a full exterior protection detailing on my brand new GTI what do you guys think:

Detailing correction of new car (removing swirlmarks etc)
Ceramic protection coating lasting approx. 2 years
Wheels off for Wheel and calliper ceramic coatings
no interior or glass work

Been quoted £400 (1.5 days work)

Reasonable value?
Collected Jan 4th: MK7 gti, red, 3dr, PP, DCC (dampers), Dynaudio, Nav

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #424 on: 07 January 2014, 10:58 »

Did you put an overcoat on it? ive found in the past that plastidip on front facing parts last about 20miles on the m1 lol

Nope, wanted to see if I liked the look without going  to too much effort.  Fully prepared to paint it again later if I want it long term  :smiley:

I dont know, i think the whole black on grey look is spot on. I wouldnt be doing it on mine however, black on white is a bit overdone imo.

Each to their own CraigW. I agree Graham, I also think the black on grey look is spot on!

Life would be a bit boring if we were all the same. It's simply my opinion

Offline jivemonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #425 on: 08 January 2014, 11:48 »
Got a quote today for a full exterior protection detailing on my brand new GTI what do you guys think:

Detailing correction of new car (removing swirlmarks etc)
Ceramic protection coating lasting approx. 2 years
Wheels off for Wheel and calliper ceramic coatings
no interior or glass work

Been quoted £400 (1.5 days work)

Reasonable value?

Seems about par for the course in my limited experience..any other guys think different?

I've been quoted £300 for clay, P1 polish to remove swirlies, C1 paintwork, C5 wheel armour and C2 glass. Can§t decided if I want to part with that much money for a proper job, or just wash and C2v3 myself for the winter.. :undecided:
Golf VII GTD | 5dr DSG | Deep Pearl Black | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | High Beam Assist | "Advanced" Phone Prep

Offline jivemonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #426 on: 08 January 2014, 11:55 »
Today I fitted LED front indicator bulbs.
Philips BlueVision H7 bulbs for static cornering lights.
Philips W5W bulb for the glovebox as the LED ones I bought were too long :(

Got the LED front indicator bulbs through today, and just wondering whether these were fairly easy to swap out? I plan on doing the reversing and front indicator, any tips?! I know on the Mk6 you had to remove the whole unit...hoping this isn't the case!
Golf VII GTD | 5dr DSG | Deep Pearl Black | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | High Beam Assist | "Advanced" Phone Prep

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #427 on: 08 January 2014, 12:05 »

Got the LED front indicator bulbs through today, and just wondering whether these were fairly easy to swap out? I plan on doing the reversing and front indicator, any tips?! I know on the Mk6 you had to remove the whole unit...hoping this isn't the case!

It's quite easy, on the back on the headlight unit there is a big circular disk which you twist to unlock and pull off.  Behind there are the connections for the lights. The bottom ones are for the indicators you just twist them off too.

For the reversing light you have to pop off the access panels on the reverse side of the boot list and then do the twist to pull the bulb holder out.

The W5W bulbs are push and twist fitments in both.

Offline jivemonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #428 on: 08 January 2014, 12:13 »

It's quite easy, on the back on the headlight unit there is a big circular disk which you twist to unlock and pull off.  Behind there are the connections for the lights. The bottom ones are for the indicators you just twist them off too.

For the reversing light you have to pop off the access panels on the reverse side of the boot list and then do the twist to pull the bulb holder out.

The W5W bulbs are push and twist fitments in both.

Thanks for the reply, will give it a go this evening and report back.

Offline jivemonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #429 on: 08 January 2014, 21:31 »
Well, managed to get time to do the indicators mod, but have to say I'm not overly happy with the result.

Okay, the blinking is now instant, but I just don't feel the power output from these is close enough to the outgoing halogen bulbs to warrant keeping them.

If anything, the colour is slightly duller (most likely due to the fact that the light being omitted from the LED is white and the amber housing it sits in is filtering out the majority of the spectrum, where as the original halogen was more yellow to begin with, and as such appeared brighter), so it's more of a dim orange. This is proved in the fog where the LED is far superior to the outgoing halogen where no filter exists in the housing.

Personally, I'll take the brightness over on-off duration for the indicator until such time a suitable replacement is identified. May investigate other options and feedback results!