Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2764863 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #150 on: 13 October 2013, 09:15 »
Meeting up with Chris (mcmaddy) shortly. If I can find my unopened set of spare Osram nightbreakers, I will fit them for my static cornering lights.

Should get a bit of VCDS work done and a coat of C2V3 on Chris' wheels so he can see for himself how good it is.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #151 on: 13 October 2013, 10:09 »
I did it on day one. No issues at all. The LED festoon bulbs are a few mm longer than the standard bulbs, so it just means its a slightly tighter fit, but the brass terminals they snap into bend anyway.

I think this is the problem Craig might have had, that the LED versions had made the "gap" slightly wider between contacts, so when he put his standard bulbs  :embarrassed:back in, they didn't fit snug and rattled. A quick bit of pressure on one of the electrical spring tabs, would have pushed them back together to grip the standard bulbs tightly.

Also, very importantly as Stuart said, LED bulbs are polarised, and only work when installed in a particular direction. So if at first it doesn't illuminate, just spin it 180 degrees and it should then work.

Really easy....shame on you Craig  :grin: :grin:

:grin: :grin: I am genuinely hopeless at these things  :embarrassed:. To be fair though when I did get one in the right way not all of the LED's were firing up. Maybe got a bad batch?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #152 on: 13 October 2013, 11:32 »
CraigW: Sounds like a dodgy lamp to me. They should all be glowing. Thankfully though, these LED bulbs are about 1/10 of the price they were when they first came out and I was fitting them to my Scirocco.

Just had Chris round. Tried out the tank contents remaining VCDS tweak which seemed to take fine but wasn't present when we looked for it in the MFD or even selectable to make active in the car set up menus. Chris' low fuel warning was on at the time, so we wondered whether that would stop the tank contents display from happening.

Just after, my broadband seemed to give up the ghost, given the range (we weren't parked right outside my house), so didn't do anything else. We did fit my unopened pack of Nightbreaker H7s to the static cornering lights. The bulbs already in were a b'stard to pull out, and the new ones were tough to go back in fully until we realised that the cutout tab of the bulb fitting should be facing upwards and not downwards (as I thought it was after seeing a springclip towards the bottom of the lightbulb housing). I now have an LED bulb in my boot too thanks to Chris.

Tuning box tomorrow!  :evil:

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #153 on: 13 October 2013, 13:30 »
CraigW: Sounds like a dodgy lamp to me. They should all be glowing. Thankfully though, these LED bulbs are about 1/10 of the price they were when they first came out and I was fitting them to my Scirocco.

Just had Chris round. Tried out the tank contents remaining VCDS tweak which seemed to take fine but wasn't present when we looked for it in the MFD or even selectable to make active in the car set up menus. Chris' low fuel warning was on at the time, so we wondered whether that would stop the tank contents display from happening.

Just after, my broadband seemed to give up the ghost, given the range (we weren't parked right outside my house), so didn't do anything else. We did fit my unopened pack of Nightbreaker H7s to the static cornering lights. The bulbs already in were a b'stard to pull out, and the new ones were tough to go back in fully until we realised that the cutout tab of the bulb fitting should be facing upwards and not downwards (as I thought it was after seeing a springclip towards the bottom of the lightbulb housing). I now have an LED bulb in my boot too thanks to Chris.

Tuning box tomorrow!  :evil:

What tuning box did you go for MH?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #154 on: 13 October 2013, 13:47 »
CraigW: Dual channel TDI-tuning.co.uk box. 243PS/502Nm http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_diesel_tuning_boxes/volkswagen/golf/20_gttd_181bhp__184_ps__135_kw/crtd2_twin_channel_diesel_tuning_box_volkswagen_golf_20_gttd_181bhp_184_ps_135_kw_P6453.html

My dad ran one of their boxes on his 170TDI PD Golf MK5 GT for 3 years/50k miles without a hitch.

They have an offer on that makes their dual channel system same price as the single channel system. I would guess that it wasn't selling well as they had erroneous output figs on this box that I brought to their attention when I was enquiring about the boxes, wondering why the dual channel one had half the gains of the single channel one. They have corrected their figures now from 202Bhp/192PS and 445Nm (obviously wrong, 202Bhp does not make 192PS, more like 206PS) to 239Bhp/243PS and 502Nm.

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #155 on: 13 October 2013, 14:06 »
Got the led vanity lights in, easy once you figure out you have to pull the entire unit out and not just the clear cover for the light....
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #156 on: 13 October 2013, 15:50 »
Got the led vanity lights in, easy once you figure out you have to pull the entire unit out and not just the clear cover for the light....

Not planning on putting make-up on in the car, so i'll leave mine alone.  :tongue:

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #157 on: 13 October 2013, 15:54 »
 :grin: :grin: :grin:

There are a few girls with GTIs though, the perfect upgrade.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Andyduz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #158 on: 13 October 2013, 19:07 »
CraigW: Dual channel TDI-tuning.co.uk box. 243PS/502Nm http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_diesel_tuning_boxes/volkswagen/golf/20_gttd_181bhp__184_ps__135_kw/crtd2_twin_channel_diesel_tuning_box_volkswagen_golf_20_gttd_181bhp_184_ps_135_kw_P6453.html

My dad ran one of their boxes on his 170TDI PD Golf MK5 GT for 3 years/50k miles without a hitch.

They have an offer on that makes their dual channel system same price as the single channel system. I would guess that it wasn't selling well as they had erroneous output figs on this box that I brought to their attention when I was enquiring about the boxes, wondering why the dual channel one had half the gains of the single channel one. They have corrected their figures now from 202Bhp/192PS and 445Nm (obviously wrong, 202Bhp does not make 192PS, more like 206PS) to 239Bhp/243PS and 502Nm.
Looking forward to a review of the box MH. The figures are pretty impressive...500Nm torque should see some relaxed overtaking!
Delivered 21st Nov. GTD Pure White, Keyless, Winter Pack, Dynaudio, Tel Prep, High Beam Assist, Climate Screen, Discover Nav, Park Assist, Rearview Camera, Voice Activation

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #159 on: 13 October 2013, 22:49 »
Whilst all these led lights sound like cool upgrades. I'm just not the best at doing things like that so I'll leave em well alone eventhough they are interesting me. 

Weather has been Sh!t today in Brum so I couldn't do what I intended to do and that was to wash the car. Instead the mrs took me to do the weekly/baby shopping and then buy a bed.
Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.