Author Topic: Hello from newbie - Interested in your thoughts on this GTI  (Read 2429 times)

Offline simon911abc

• Not said much yet
Hi everyone.
Lovely forum you've got here.
I'm Simon - brand new to the forum (but not forums). I have been active on a few different car forums and believe them to be an extraordinary resource for information, banter and general time wasting - I look forward to all three on this site!
I thought I'd drop in and say hello and introduce you to what is almost certainly to become my car in the next week or so.

It is currently owned by the Company I work for. It has been with us since brand new and has been un-cared for by the CEO's wife on school runs, taking dogs to the park, general family duties.

It only has 23k on the clock and is a reasonably spec'd car I think. It's got the DSG, full leather, touch screen sat nav, reversing camera etc, and has never missed a beat apparently.

I am in the very lucky position that I will probably receive the car for free - or thereabouts.
However, as I say, it has not been well looked after. The interior is fine. Dirty so needs a good valet but I'll enjoy getting the Autogleam out and resolving that. BUT the exterior has not had a very good time.

The car has been scraped along the offside and every panel is in need of paint. All the way from the front wing to the rear, it needs attention. Nothing that can't be beaten out and sprayed, but it's a significant job.
Similarly, all 4 wheels need a refurb. They've been curbed to death, and I'm considering just buying new ones.

What do people think?
1. Should I just buy a complete set of OEM 18 inch wheels to replace the 17's? Have always liked the wheels with the black insides (Assume they're a straight swap with no re calibration required)
2. Any thoughts on costs for a spray job such as the one I describe - or recs of where in London (pref North) I should take it?

Anyway, hello and hope to keep posting!
Cheers
Simon

Some pics.

« Last Edit: 20 August 2018, 17:06 by simon911abc »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Hello from newbie - Interested in your thoughts on this GTI
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2018, 17:12 »
Those wheels  :cry: :shocked:
Yep, source some OEM 18's and be rid of the shame asap!

Paint, ooof, that is a lot of panels needing attention. Just take it around a few places and once the quote doesn't make you cry too much, I guess just take it as offset against the car being free!

Good luck  :smiley:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Charliemk6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2018, 12:15 »
If you've got it for free, even with the issues I think you're very lucky!

A wheel refurb will cost you about £200 so may be worth part exchanging them for something else?

Cost to repair the paint probably won't be that cheap but still cheaper than buying a MK6 GTI lol.

What year is it?  Don't forget if its an early model it will be worth getting the Timing Chain Tensioner updated.  Mine along with waterpump and service cost £750....

Best of luck and look forward to seeing the transformation!

Offline simon911abc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2018, 16:57 »
Thanks v much.
It's a '61 plate. Had its major service and brake fluid change at 19k in 2016.
I don't know if it's had the tensioner sorted - is this car one of the early ones that requires that preventative work...?
Cheers
Simon

Offline Charliemk6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2018, 09:04 »
Thanks v much.
It's a '61 plate. Had its major service and brake fluid change at 19k in 2016.
I don't know if it's had the tensioner sorted - is this car one of the early ones that requires that preventative work...?
Cheers
Simon

I think its only 2009-2010 models that had Tensioner issues?

Not ntirely sure to be honest - mines a 2009 so knew it had to be done.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2018, 11:36 »
Tensioners should include 2011 to be safe.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2018, 11:57 »
I'd probably budget £3k for paintwork, wheels (I'd refurb those personally), preventative maintenance like the tensioner, and some of the maintenance that will have probably been missed - brake fluid change, air con re-gas etc.

Mk6 GTI for around £3k with that mileage - winner!
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline simon911abc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2018, 12:26 »
Thanks for the input all...
Will update you as and when I get the car..

Out of interest, is there a resource for the owners handbook? I tried to d/l it from the VW website, but it leads to a dead page. Any of these floating about in pdf...?