Author Topic: The ICE Bible  (Read 84627 times)

Offline GolfChick24

• Here all the time
Re: The ICE Bible
« Reply #30 on: 15 December 2005, 09:42 »
There are also availible a square of what can only be descibed as a wavey board. Apparently by sticking this behind the speaker it reflects the waves directed at the door/panel and returns them back so they don't hit the rear of the speaker and decrese it's performance. It's worth Dynamatting the door before hand to reduce panel flex, etc.

Offline Godzilla

• I live here
  • <<<VR6 MADNESS>>>
« Reply #31 on: 07 May 2006, 19:55 »
Paint the inside of an MDF Sub box with laquer. MDF is porous. One of my mates owns a very large ICE shop and some of the stuff he has told me i would never had thought of! Power caps are very good as they keep the power constant at 14.4v. If you look inside an amp you will see 2 little caps, about the size of a thumb. Now these little caps are resposible for holding the current. If you look at the size of these little friends then at the size of a power cap it kind of explains that the little friends inside the amp are pants!
Majority of American amps are very good. The old Rockford Punch series amps where just pure awsome. Seen a Punch 60 Rockford with 10 speakers wired to it in a BMW M3 win a sound off...that was off one amp!

Offline 1 Lp

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 10 May 2006, 11:06 »
gotta agree with you their old Rockford amps are amazing!!  :laugh: i own a Rocky Punch 400X, very very sort after amp. Personally I think power caps are waste of time. your right you do need to keep the voltage a constant 14.4v, but to do this you need to uprate the alternator and battery.

Power caps only keep the power constant for a short period of time. For example if you listen to music which long deep bass notes (at loud Volumes) you'll find your will lose clarity in the bass  due to the cap note being note being able to fill up quick enough.

theirs all more to it than that but this is the short form, plus a Im getting tired of typing  :grin:
VWs are like women, they need love care and attention

Offline bhpamz

• Just got here
« Reply #33 on: 22 November 2006, 15:30 »
well guys the thing about power caps usually people install power caps to stop any fuses in the car melting

and always use good wiring for better sound quality
also always run the live+ separate from the (RCA cables and the remote cable) ideally run the RCA cable and the remote cable together and run the live+ by it self
always makesure that the amp is properly mounted and all the wires connected to the amp terminals are screwed down securely and if you can use heat shrinks on the connected wires to the amp so any lose bits of the wires don't touch any of the other wires.
also make sure you insulate the RCA cables and the remote cable together with insulation tape ;)

Amz :)

Offline markgti

• Just got here
« Reply #34 on: 04 June 2007, 00:35 »
If your RCA leads have a 3rd wire in the middle earth both ends 1 to the head unit and the other end to the small screw between the RCA plugs on the amp as this stops the bang sound you get with some amps when you first turn it on as the amp is getting power before the HU is

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #35 on: 16 June 2007, 20:49 »
One of my mates owns a very large ICE shop and some of the stuff he has told me i would never had thought of! Power caps are very good as they keep the power constant at 14.4v. If you look inside an amp you will see 2 little caps, about the size of a thumb. Now these little caps are resposible for holding the current. If you look at the size of these little friends then at the size of a power cap it kind of explains that the little friends inside the amp are pants!
Im An Electronics Engineer in the highend audio buisness so know about these things the ESR (electrical series resistance) of modern car audio caps (not the Electrolytic in the amp itself) are FAR too high especially if they have a display to be of any use. We did the maths on www.talkaudio.co.uk search for posts on there by usernames 'Geoff B' & 'clio paul' on this matter. Stiffling caps are one of those audio myths that have been hyped by marketing men to the point they have fooled people into buying them.
EDIT heres some of it for you, the original threads on another forum went to over 20 pages of 'discussion' and has now been deleted. Most of this is intact in these posts some caracters have gone a bit funny on the forum change over though.
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showpost.php?p=874017&postcount=8
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showpost.php?p=874020&postcount=9
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showpost.php?p=913642&postcount=32
The maths etc were also done for other caps by us out there of a smaller size (the original post was about the massive rockford one) the same conclusions apply.

I have also noticed theres quite afew other incorrect statments in this thread too.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2007, 22:03 by Snowman »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 22 June 2007, 21:36 »

i was thinking that i could bridge the two lefts  and then the two rights on the amp to use for one speaker and then get them set-up so the amp is hardly running....

to put the theory in to a practical situation surely somthings going to blow? 4OHM speakers and 2OHMs out of amp.... is that a bad combination?
slightly straying off the point of this thread as its ment to be for fact, not discussion but...

yeah, just dont do it! it doesnt work like that. ohmage basically depends on the amount of speakers you hook up to an amp (and the way they are hooked up) , each one will put a load on the amp, this is measured in ohms.

Offline Heyho

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 24 September 2007, 22:47 »
This thread is just like the real Bible - you really have to have faith to believe most of it!

wuzzy

« Reply #38 on: 01 February 2008, 17:19 »
hi got to add if you want the best of both worlds i ran jbl gto series in the doors hooked to the radio but with no bass and a 5oowatt amp in the boot just for the sub made my mate sick too much pressure :sick:  :grin: oh and has anyone tried Magnat there really good!

Offline dan_b998

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 03 January 2009, 21:56 »
u can use the stuffin out of pillows or duvets as sound deadening in ur sub box works very very well used it with good results loads of times as its been said deffoo run ur power cables on the opposite side of the car to ur rca's try to keep them as far away as u can

also

if ur running 2 subs use 2 x2 channel amps or 2 monoblock amps rather than a 4 channel

bridgin channels gives u more power output

i'm currently running 2 10inch subs with 2 alpine amps sounds brill

obviously with that use the same amps so the power is the same

deffo dynamat the whole car is best stops rattlin etc and improves sound quality by miles

get the best rated headunit u can afford like 50x4 at least

with a dedicated sub out put with pre outs

use descent wires

don't use ur amps on full power u will fry them