Author Topic: Bricked RNS510 - help needed!  (Read 3229 times)

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Just got here
Bricked RNS510 - help needed!
« on: 26 June 2017, 13:29 »
Guys,

I stupidly attempted to update firmware in my 2009 Golf GTI RNS510 satnav.  I have bricked it.  The screen is no longer responsive to touch.  Furthermore it is also constantly on so draining my car battery.  I am in a right mess and need help.  VW have quoted a sum of £2200 for a new RNS510.

I have already decided I'll be selling the car (not related).  However I need to remedy this issue.  I guess I have three options:

1) replace unit with another RNS510
2) replace unit with a cheaper RCD 510
3) replace with aftermarket unit

I don't need the hassle or stress so want something which will swap over easily and ensure all steering wheel buttons and the MFD works as previous.

Can anyone please offer some advice on how best to proceed?  Is there any well respected installers/vendors in my location (Hartlepool / Teeside) who can help?

Will Vagcom or anything else complicated be needed or can I make a straight swap with any of the options above?

Learned a valuable lesson not to mess about  :embarrassed:

Thanks in advance  :undecided:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Bricked RNS510 - help needed!
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2017, 13:37 »
Why can't you reflash it?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2017, 13:49 »
Why can't you reflash it?

It's a long story, but the car went in for diagnosis to VW via the Ford dealership from where I originally bought it.  I don't have the full story from VW with it being indirect, other than the Satnav is bricked.

However I have approached HazzyDays who suggested I remove the unit and send it to them for a second opinion.  I did share with HazzyDays the that touchscreen is no longer responding which has made them less hopeful of a recovery.  Right now I'm just having to trust people on their honesty as have insufficient knowledge otherwise.  I dont however believe VW will have put much effort in recovering it for me - other than a quick inspection to confirm its bricked.

I'm expecting the car back today.  The garage have removed the fuse to stop the unit draining my battery.  Next step is to pull put the Satnav and post it to HazzyDays.  I'll either have it repaired if that is an option or consider replacing with an RDS510.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2017, 17:46 »
It can probably reflashed - maybe not via OBD if kernel is compromised but a programming adapter might sort it.
uC might need to come out though, which can be a bit risky.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline finallygotagti

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2017, 13:42 »
You could replace it with a RCD330 which would allow Mirrorlink/CarPlay instead, as I have just done. They are approx £180 delivered from AliExpress. I am about to make this swap myself as it is a more modern unit than my rns510 and I value the carplay option more than the old built in nav.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2017, 17:50 »
Look here http://www.my-gti.com/3868/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-download-repository a DVD recovery ISO file that may work and a wealth of firmware files
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.