Author Topic: I have bought a Mk2 8v GTI today! Its a project car with a few faults  (Read 14676 times)

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
Hi Guys,

I have bought an unmolested GTI from the original owner, its all as it left the factory apart from a new head unit but I have the original as well included in the sale.

Its been stored since December so today was the first drive it had in months.

I like the colour is it oak green? what are your guys opinions on the alloys?

It drives really well I loved every second of the drive home.

Bad bits on the car:

Rust on the sills, boot lid, scabs on drivers door, previous welding work for MOT'S, drivers door seal rotten, reverse lights not working, glove box jammed shut, drivers seat work to death, creaking from steering column. any advice on resolving these niggles greatly appreciated.

oh and is this normal?

to me it looks like it should be sealed but there is a gap.

anyhow overall im overjoyed to have a mk2 Golf and join the club.

Offline OakeyDoak16v

• I live here
Replace that sraight away.... its a vacuum thingy :cool: and your car will feel instantley better with it replaced.  :smiley:

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
« Last Edit: 11 May 2014, 08:17 by chocice »

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
Yes the lid is locked turning the key in it gets you no where.

I have checked the bulbs wiring and cluster so it must be the switch I'm guessing it's under the car.

It was a typo I was supposed to say worn to death it's the bolster which I believe is very common and ill just have to hope a good one pops up nearby. The seat does not rock.

Offline Waspy

• I live here
Looks fantastic. Pretty rare to find one with just one owner!
« Last Edit: 11 May 2014, 14:03 by Waspy »
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
Today has been great I have spent the whole day driving about. Had a bloke come upto me and say how nice it was at the petrol station. 

I have noticed a few more rust areas namely the filler cap and more on the rear of the car as well as spots of visible rust on the arches and sills I hadn't seen before. Also a bit on the car body on the passenger door hinge It's also dripping oil onto the floor which it hadn't done in storage or I would have spotted it. 

The window rattles about but I can't see why and the drivers door card was taped on so it also rattles.

So I'm thinking what do I take on first at this point I'm thinking wire brush sand paper and krust then filler on the spots I can get to before going to a body shop for an estimate on new seals. Getting some bits from the Internet and fix up the easy bits.

I tried touching the 2 wires together on the switch but no joy.

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
Can you squeeze the two ends of the glovebox lock when unlocked?

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
No I can't it's jammed.  I can see myself drilling the lock out to be honest. Which would be a shame as I would like one key to lock and unlock everything in the car.

Offline Waspy

• I live here
So it's no actually unlocking then. Problem with the lock, rather than a jam.
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley: