Author Topic: New shoes I hate having to pick  (Read 5440 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
New shoes I hate having to pick
« on: 20 December 2014, 07:25 »
Finally after the new year going to get round to treating my GTI to new shoes. Its only took nearly 5 years..

So what do we think Monza shadows or Glendales?

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline charlie

• I live here
Re: New shoes I hate having to pick
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2014, 08:13 »
Monza's for me but then the glendales look good as well. Which ever you pick they will look good  :wink:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2014, 08:26 »
Hmm, it's a tough one, they both look good.  Shame you haven't got a pic of a 5 door with the Glendales.  The black really complements the darker rear windows on the 3 door, would  they look as good with the slightly lighter glass of the more door?

If I had to choose I'd say the Glendales just as they look a bit more special, quite a rare sight on a night blue gti and give it a different look, especially as you already had Monzas (albeit not the shadows).  And I'm not just picking them because I have them.
 :smiley:
« Last Edit: 20 December 2014, 08:30 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline GS WAX

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2014, 09:39 »
As a Glendale owner I would say go for Monza shadow's.
 Glen's are lovely,but with std ride height on a gti without the 35 skirts Glendale's can sometimes make it look a bit high imo, plus come tyre replacement time there is more choice in 18 at a far lower cost.

Both look the nuts btw :smiley:
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #302

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2014, 09:48 »
As a Glendale owner I would say go for Monza shadow's.
 Glen's are lovely,but with std ride height on a gti without the 35 skirts Glendale's can sometimes make it look a bit high imo, plus come tyre replacement time there is more choice in 18 at a far lower cost.

Both look the nuts btw :smiley:

Agree about the ride height with the Glendales, it's the only thing that bothers me about them.  Ideally you would lower the car. 

On the plus side, Glendales are a breeze to clean.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2014, 10:44 »
Shadows all the way!
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2014, 10:50 »
Shadows for me too, still my favourite wheel on any GTI, a nice clean mk6 with some sparking Shadows will always turn my head! Love em! :cool:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2014, 11:23 »
Personally I would go for something aftermarket like BBS. Genuine OEM wheels cost a fortune new and reps are a complete waste of money, especially diamond cut ones. Also, OEM wheels won't give you that new wheel feeling for very long, whereas a nice set of BBS's will always look special.

I presume you have 17" Monzas at the moment, so if there is a usable amount of tread on them, store them away to put back on the car when you sell it, or use them for winter tyres.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2014, 13:08 »
Monza Shadows would be my choice, great looking wheels, also easy to clean and as mentioned before the tyres will be far cheaper than on a set of Glendales.  :smiley:

They're both great options though. I'd love to have Watkins Glen on my car but I think either of the two you have chosen work well with the blue.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline MartinrobGTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2014, 18:09 »
Monza shadows always look the dogs boll***s to me on any GTi!
Golf Mk6 GTi | Candy White | RNS 510 | Revo Stage 2 | Pipercross Stage 2 Intake | Milltek Cat Back 3" Race System Non Resonated | 3" Pipewerx Downpipe & 200 Cell Sportscat | H&R Sport Springs | 18" Monza Shadows | Rear LED Tail Lights | Wind Deflectors | NGK Iridiums | Sachs Race Clutch