Author Topic: Golfyste's road legal mk4 "project track car"  (Read 113242 times)

jamie16v

Re: Golfyste's road legal mk4 "project track car" *She's on the road!*
« Reply #260 on: 30 September 2013, 23:08 »
Doesn't limp mode hold in until the ignition switch is reset?

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
Re: Golfyste's road legal mk4 "project track car" *She's on the road!*
« Reply #261 on: 30 September 2013, 23:36 »
Mine didn't, I could lay off the throttle, wait a couple of secs, nail it again and would be back up to where I started? Once I hit whatever limit it was, back down to 5psi.

Could do this an unlimited amount of times without switching engine off?

Was kind of hoping it was because the Cambelt was a tooth and a half out :grin:
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
No not on the AGU Jamie, like I say it's just boost limp mode. The N75 is just opening the wastegate fully to save the engine. It's the only form of protection the AGU has and it works well TBH

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
I got a email today from Xs-power containing the specs of the turbo!
The image shows it is indeed a k04 inside a k03 housing!

R-tech custom remap - k04-001- 250bhp/311ftlb  :grin:

"Project track car" has begun :grin:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=247202.0

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Ok time for another update!

This lot arrived yesterday!

So I set about fitting it all to try and sort my problems!
I made a little braket for the catch can and fitted all the pipe work!

Breather filter and in position

I also fitted the mbc in parallel with the n75.
It's not the neatest thing in the world but its works! (Don't mind the temporary bung haha I replaced it today with a proper bung I ordered)

I've managed to set the mbc I 19 psi and its pulling nice and smoothly and fitting he oil catch can has eliminated my smoking issues!!  :grin:
The "puck valve" was full of oil and wasn't closing under vacuum (on boost) so was sucking oil through it!

So all that is good now but of course more problems has appeared  :angry:
I have a oil leak but am struggling to find where it's coming from! There was quite a bit of oil about but it's also been raining all day so hard to tell here its coming from.

While I was trying to find it I was getting annoyed by the plate with the n112 valve etc so I ripped it all out and planked the vacuum lines and fed a new one to my 007p haha

I also found that my ns drive shaft is a bit worn and is knocking a little so I need to look at replacing it!

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Ok so got a bad exhaust blow this morning!
So after work and some tea I got the car jacked up and had a good look around!

I found that the turbo bolts had actually started coming loose! So I nipped them up tightly and will be keeping my eyes on them!

Also I saw a bit of oil leaking from the turbo oil return so I removed it and fitted a new gasket.
Just gotta keep my eye out it some more drips.

I also emptied the catch can and after only a couple of days I got all this!!

Surely this isn't right?
On my old car it would take maybe 2 week to get this much!
Anybody any idea What can cause this excess oil vapour?

Also went around and checked everything was tight and found the top mounts a tad loose so nipped them up which will hopefully solve the slight knocking I had!

Just gonna try keep my eye out for anything wrong to make sure it's running nice before I plan anything else!

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Last week I put my fan on high to try demist the windscreen and it stopped working and there was a very nice burning smell  :sad:

So I set about trying to find the problem!

I found that I was pretty lucky really as the fuse for the fan had melted! And also put a nice hole in the fuse box!! But luckily it had only taken out that one connection and not all the surrounding ones.

A few pictures if the damage...

You can see how the fuse is melted and it had actually fused in place and it took a good pull to get it out!

The fuse it's self!

And the rear heated screen fuse below it

and you can see inside how it has melted the fuse connection

I removed all the lower dash and spent the afternoon tryin to find what had caused the fuse to melt.

I removed all the controls test resistances across all the wires and components, tested the resistor block and also test the fan and everything is perfectly fine so I'm assuming that it was the fuse had maybe work loose and gone faulty and caused it to arch across causing the damage.

I then wired in a external fuses off the switch live in the fuse box to the controls when the normal wire went and now everything works fine!

Another little mini project I've got on the go started with a delivery of these  :grin:

An r32 replica bumper...

And a polyurethane bmw m3 trunk spoiler

Basically I needed a r32 bumper as I'm going to be fitting a wellycooler but as known they don't fit behind the standard mk4 bumper so I needed the extra space you get behind the r32 bumper.

I was wanting a gen bumper but I couldn't justify £350-£400 on a bumper and then painting it to maybe smash it up on track and also I have other I need to spend the money on! so I opted for a £120 rep bumper haha

The plan with the m3 spoiler arrived a week or two ago when I found a r32 spoiler in my shed that I had forgot about which I had bought for my previous golf but never fitted! And I thought about how I could make the r32 spoiler an actually effective spoiler that creates downforce as with no weight in the back of the car the back end is a little light at speed!

I just wanted a cheap DIY mid and I was thinking about making a lip out of fibreglass and the idea just spring to mind so I bought a m3 lip on eBay haha

As you can see the m3 lip is a nice scooped shape and should produce at least a little downforce

i was thinking something like this

I cut the spoiler to length and managed to file and shape the end quite well

With the lip the right length

I've been forming the lip into a bend to match the profile of the spoiler for the last few days and it holds its shape so I just have to set about sticking it to the spoiler next!

I've also been messing with the bumper as I knew it wouldn't fit perfectly haha

I managed to get it to fit quite well on the arches unlike most replicas but it's a bit tight around the headlights! You sort of have to force it into position!

You can't really tell in the pictures that it's not perfect but it's good enough for what I need although I wouldn't recommend it for someone with more of a "scene" car as you can tell it doesn't fit perfect.

It also makes my ths cooler look small haha

And the final little edition!.....a case for my iphone attached to the shifter platform as I was fed up of having to jam my phone between my leg and my seat while it's plugged into the head unit haha

next step is get the spoiler fitted and then get that and the bumper painted fitted and then get a wellycooler fitted!

I'm also on the lookout for some brembos and 256mm rear brake setup!

And comments etc welcome!  :cool:

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
Good work mate, R32 front makes a massive difference for room doesn't it!

I'd love a wellycooler, but there's NO way I can fit one unless I strap it on the outside of the front bumper :laugh:
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
The technical term for what you are creating on the spoiler is a gurney flap  :wink:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Good work mate, R32 front makes a massive difference for room doesn't it!

I'd love a wellycooler, but there's NO way I can fit one unless I strap it on the outside of the front bumper :laugh:

Yeah it does! The ths cooler look big behind the standard bumper and you have to cut quite a bit away but tiny behind the r32 bumper there's loads of room!

Yeah a big problem with puttin the 1.8t in the mk2

Cheer a wazzer  :laugh: