Author Topic: Golfyste's road legal mk4 "project track car"  (Read 113260 times)

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
Re: Golfyste's road legal mk4 "project track car"
« Reply #90 on: 18 April 2013, 23:55 »
Fella, I feel your pain on the cage side of things, in, out, in, out!

We're building my feet up inside the car so have to keep testing it at every stage.

Looking forward to seeing updates :smiley:
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #91 on: 18 April 2013, 23:57 »
Yeah I know just been pm'ing DH haha

I now have a pretty good idea of what I need to do with them and took some measure measurements today will be doing some more tomorrow so will update... :smiley: cheers pal

R-tech custom remap - k04-001- 250bhp/311ftlb  :grin:

"Project track car" has begun :grin:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=247202.0

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #92 on: 19 April 2013, 00:00 »
Yeah I know just been pm'ing DH haha

I now have a pretty good idea of what I need to do with them and took some measure measurements today will be doing some more tomorrow so will update... :smiley: cheers pal

I was told, hadn't posted on here so hadn't seen your build thread since page 4, seems your plans have changed drastically :laugh:
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #93 on: 19 April 2013, 00:06 »
 :laugh: they haven't as such changed just I have been making list after list and put all the important things at the top and been doing plenty of research etc
Plus the shift rota I work gives me quite a bit of time off so have been doing as much as possible  :grin:

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #94 on: 19 April 2013, 23:16 »
Ok bit of a update.

Something I keep forgetting to mention is i bought i Aum engine with all the loom, ecu, ancillaries, lambdas etc, i wanted the loom, ecu and lambdas and vvt tensioners and the whole lot came up cheaper then waht it would have been to buy them separately so i snapped it all up.

So Firstly yesterday i started by testing the oil Pressure. so i removed the oil pressure sensor on the filter housing and to my surprise i had 75 psi at 2000 rpm....but was getting a low OP warning on the dash. I then noticed that the OP sensor i had removed was suspiciously shiny.....

It also had no markings on etc. i then have a little thought train going as i had a dead turbo but had good oil pressure a Op warning and the pick up pipe was pretty much clean (just a bit down the edges)

So what i think has happened with the previous owner is:
pick up pipe blocked and brought up low oil pressure
He changed the oil pressure sensor with a cheap nasty one and was still getting warning light
carried on driving and killed the turbo
Took it to a garage and they had the sump off and cleaned the pick up pipe
was still getting low oil pressure so sold it as spares and repairs.

And all i have had to do is swap the turbo and the OP sensor off my spare engine and all is good  :grin:
So I started up the engine and it purrs like a little kitten!

Engine all back together:

Running...

So i think the plan is to sell the current ARZ engine as it can be heard running and hopefully get my money back from what i spent on all the AUM stuff (which i should easily and may even make some  :grin:) And then rebuild the AUM block and use that with the AGU head wideband lambda and vvt etc

So i have gone from confused to feeling quite positive i just need to shift the ARZ lump now so i can tidy up the bay with any new fuel lines, heat shielding etc needed and start purchasing bits to do the engine build  :grin:

I then spent a good while tidying up the garge and create a space in the corner which will the the engine build area  :laugh:
Its not the biggest area but we are also making a attachment for the engine lift to convert it into a engine stand which will come in handy  :smiley:
not massive but all the bit and bobs around the cloth on the floor (toolboxes fire extinguisher etc) will be moved  :laugh:

Then on to today....it crazy how jobs that you imagine are quite small turn out to take forever!! haha
Been outside from 12 - 9 so a nice long day  :laugh:
started by removing the old seat rail by drilling the spot welds

I think this is my new most hated job haha as it just seemed to drag

I then set about making the plates to weld onto the cage feet to distribute the weight (opinions DH?)

I'm just going to spot weld them together in a couple of groups and then fully weld the together and grind them to make them solid then weld them to the boxes and then to the floor

I then ground all the spot weld back as that is where the seat rails shall be welded this took a good while and wasn't a very comfy sitting position!

I then measured and cut the 4 end plates for the seat bars and also two plates to go under the 2 rear points of the cage that go onto the rear wheel wells to help distribute the weight a little.

I then started making the right angle seat rails that will allow me to use normal seat mounts on my bottom mounted seats by cutting some metal i had already fab'd.

I then decide dit was dark and i was hungry so left it there  :grin:

tomorrow ive got a job on a almera that has failed it MOT and then i will be looking at doing some welding of the cages feet boxes and some other bits  :smiley:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #95 on: 19 April 2013, 23:29 »
Remember those rear stays need 60sq cm of 3mm steel under them.

Flares for the floorpan look good, just remember when you're welding them up that the metal may pull around a bit with the heat, so keep an eye on what's happening.

Looks like you're ground the weld back on the foot-boxes - bit of a no-no for any scrutineering  :cry: They really wanna see your beads!

(sorry)
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #96 on: 19 April 2013, 23:41 »
Are the rear stays the centre feet or the wheel well points??
Sorry still learning the lingo  :laugh:

The 2 rear points will have 105 sqcm with 190mm x 60mm
An the centre feet come in at about 130 sq cm  :smiley:

Yeah I will just take it slow so it doesn't get to much heat in and give it good few tacks to keep it in place.

Yeah it's because of the problems we were having with the welder I wanted to make sure they were all good welds.
I can always run another Weld down all the corners  :smiley:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #97 on: 21 April 2013, 01:30 »
Sounds all good.  Rear stays are the tubes that go to the rear wheel-wells.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #98 on: 29 April 2013, 13:37 »
Ok so had a fair bit of progress but had a few problems, quite stupid of me and could have been a disaster but all is good and lessons learnt and back on the positive now
Will update later  :smiley:

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #99 on: 29 April 2013, 21:20 »
OK update time

Started to get the centre feet welded into car.
I need to say some of the welding at this point is abit crap but since we did this i have been practicing and actually quite happy with the quality of weld i am getting now so will be getting busy with the grinder and redoing the welding so its up to scratch!

And the drivers side

And this is where the disaster happened  :undecided:
As said before i made a rookie mistake and forgot about the fuel lines running underneath the car  :embarrassed:
As a result when welding the foot to the car its melted one of the fuel breather pipes behind it and gave off a few flames! so welding was stopped until the tank was removed and down the garden.
It could have gone alot worse but we were lucky but have learnt a lesson and it wont be happening again!

So while waiting for a full day to get to work on the removing the tank as the rear beam needed to be dropped we got on with messing with the shifter platform.
Managed to get it sitting perfectly.

we will be welding reinforcement plated to the bars but having it bolted in places is to just locate it so i can make all the sheet steel sides etc and then can remove it to weld on the tabs that the sheet will bolt to  :smiley:

Had a brainstorm and decided we needed to modify the shifter for it all to work

What the top plate will be like...

And where the shifter will sit...

going to weld 3mm steel between the bars for the shifter to bolt too to ensure its rigid  :smiley:

We then got a full day so got on with removing the rear beam and tank so we could carry on welding safely.
Ryan removing the rear shocks   

Rear beam off

It then started hailing!! so we decided to go in the garage and refurb the rear beam and hope the weather brightened up!

Stripped down, Cleaned up and started to paint it

Removed all the hubs as im going to purchase new ones so i know they're top notch  :cool:

The weather then cleared up so resumed with removing the tank

exhaust dropped

And its gone  :smiley:

And its out!

the breather pipe that got melted  :undecided:

luckily it missed the main fuel line!

We then got around to welding the rear stay plates in place.
i made them quite big as the rear stays dont sit perfectly to the rear well so i have had to use a spacer under it for the bolt to go through and then as a extra measure have welded a piece of 3mm plate in there  :smiley:

Sadly while welding the plates in the arch liner decided to set alight and melt!
Not particularly lucky with the whole melting thing!

We then got around to making up the front feet  :cool:
Offside foot

Drivers side

Welding is getting better  :smiley:

Main plated for the feet finished  :cool:
Fit nice and snug but during welding there was slight pull from the heat so i have decided to bolt the bottom plate to the floor with a 3mm plate under the car to pull it down slightly and then it will be welded  :smiley:

In position

We have now started making up the side plates but they arn't finished yet but at least we can see a bit of progress now  :smiley:

Last but not least i took some measurement and drew up a diagram

Any guess as to what its for??  :grin: