Author Topic: Gti and R testdrive  (Read 28991 times)

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
Re: Gti and R testdrive
« Reply #70 on: 13 December 2018, 10:25 »
Are we talking about the amount of pedal travel to make it go, or the response time between pedal and throttle opening?

What does the box do, increase the speed of the DBW or fool the linear settings to give WOT earlier in the travel? 
'18 245PP DSG

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #71 on: 13 December 2018, 12:12 »
This has never bothered me with my 7.5, not sure if it differs with the older 6 speed. I did own a 6 speed 2.0t CC which was terrible.
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #72 on: 13 December 2018, 16:41 »
Are we talking about the amount of pedal travel to make it go, or the response time between pedal and throttle opening?

What does the box do, increase the speed of the DBW or fool the linear settings to give WOT earlier in the travel?

One of those, whatever, Makes a massive difference to mine. Brain to foot to gone. Yet controllable in traffic. Last time I disconnected was for service and it was horrible. :sick: It doesn't alter BHP but bloody feels like it!!
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Online mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #73 on: 13 December 2018, 18:12 »
I'm with Snoopy. You just adapt your style to suit although I've never had any issue with the throttle response on mine.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #74 on: 13 December 2018, 18:57 »
Why adapt yourself when the car can adapt to you?
It’s a machine, it should be adaptable to suit you not the other way round.
Why have 258lb ft, or 280 or whatever, available to you from just over tickover only for your car to have worse low speed response than a car 20 years older with less than half the toque?

It’s not about getting full throttle lower in the pedal travel, it’s utilising the available torque smoothly and giving a sporty car sporty responses.
It’s about driving enjoyment without having to mash the pedal to make progress when there should be no need to.
If you don’t have a problem with the car’s responses then you don’t need a pedal box.
If you find it a little compromised then why compromise yourself for the sake of £150 or so when you’re looking at a £20k - £45k purchase.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #75 on: 13 December 2018, 20:25 »
I drive it and enjoy it and without needing to mash the pedal to do so. I honestly don't think the throttle response is an issue but if others need a box then that's fine etto. 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #76 on: 13 December 2018, 20:28 »
I'm just interested in how it works, the subjective bit I can leave.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #77 on: 13 December 2018, 21:41 »
I drive it and enjoy it and without needing to mash the pedal to do so. I honestly don't think the throttle response is an issue but if others need a box then that's fine etto. 👍

Indeed :smiley:

Waste of money if you don’t need one, a good investment if you feel the need. :afro:

I'm just interested in how it works, the subjective bit I can leave.

They’re basically an amplifier.
There’s a small box of electronics at the top of your accelerator pedal that has a chip in it.
I’d imagine (educated guess) that it was programmed exactly the same for every car in the range.
The PB intercepts the message from the accelerator pedal PCB to the ECU and adjusts the signal according to how you’ve set it, ranging from very little to ridiculously sensitive.

They work on basically the same principle as a tuning box.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #78 on: 21 December 2018, 14:00 »
Hi everyone,

Just looked at the Vw Configurator and they state the gti performance dsg at £35,353 with Brescia, pan roof, 90% glass and standard white paint. When I went to the dealers at the start of December they said they’d do the car for £28.5k. I know there’s been a price rise but even with DTD matched discount thrown in there’s a big difference in price. The R and gti seem a lot closer in price now. Have I missed something as this is changing my thoughts completely.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #79 on: 21 December 2018, 14:36 »
Hi everyone,

Just looked at the Vw Configurator and they state the gti performance dsg at £35,353 with Brescia, pan roof, 90% glass and standard white paint. When I went to the dealers at the start of December they said they’d do the car for £28.5k. I know there’s been a price rise but even with DTD matched discount thrown in there’s a big difference in price. The R and gti seem a lot closer in price now. Have I missed something as this is changing my thoughts completely.

Not sure what the difference in price was before, but it looks like about £3k difference in price after discount on DTD for standard 5dr cars with dsg. Not an insignificant amount of money, but still reasonable if you value the additional performance and the benefits of 4motion.
7.5 GTD