Author Topic: engine rebuild need some advice  (Read 730 times)

Offline batman04

• Not said much yet
engine rebuild need some advice
« on: 01 February 2008, 16:41 »
Hi there vevryone, just a quick question for you all. im having my Mk1 golf GTI engine rebuilt, its a good engine and i think suits the car perfect in every way, i want to put bigger pistons in it to give it a more torque and a little more power, also i have a new fastroad cam fitted and all other parts that wear renewed. was wondering what pistons would go well in it, i was think boring it out and putting 1.9 pistons in. anyone know anywhere good to get some good pistons or am i creating work for myself that wont do anymore than the normal pistons. cheers

Batman

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: engine rebuild need some advice
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2008, 10:48 »
not worth the money or effort really, fit a ready made 2.0 bottom end from a MK3 Golf or Audi ;)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline meg1980

• GTI forum regular
Re: engine rebuild need some advice
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2008, 21:29 »
I would be more inclined too bore out the engine then by the 2.0 engine as once you have put your engine back together you know you have a strong and very quick revving engine, might aswell have it lightened and balanced at the same time. Then maybe port and polish if money isn,t tight trust me youwill not be dissapointed. I have a mk2 1900 and it pulls like a train. As for pistons any engineering shop can supply then but if you are unsure then ring someone like tsr or stealth they are all in the magazines. 
i was told the 020 rod box was supposed to be a strong box,how wrong are they 5 and counting on my mk2. Hopefully the quaiffe box will last.