Author Topic: Steering wheel re-trim  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Steering wheel re-trim
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2020, 18:37 »
Apart from the red marker I think the TCR wheel is great with the perforated leather sections and smooth leather elsewhere. I'd be concerned about the looks of alcantara long term in such a high wear area.

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2020, 18:45 »
Thank you that’s helpful. The perforated leather looks good, reminiscent of a 2016 Audi A3 S line Sportback I had  and I liked the feel of it. Perforated might be sufficient to distinguish it from most GTI wheels. I think I saw a mk 8 GTI photo with perforated leather on the wheel.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 09 June 2020, 01:39 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2020, 18:49 »
Thank you. I see they have the wheel from a Golf R on their Facebook. Looks good👍

I’ve had stuff done and have seen loads of his work  :smiley:

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2020, 19:26 »
This is something on my “to do” list & this company look to do some nice work (carbon, alcantara, leather..it’s all there. Plenty of pics available on their Instagram a/c
https://controlcustoms.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw2a32BRBXEiwAUcugiDO-UVdf1ThqzZNuEflqjT9nZkkyONJLhBRP9-HJKDE7z1vjQCkfCBoC2EMQAvD_BwE
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP
Pure White, DSG, ACC, DCC, Pano roof, 19 Brescias, Rieger rear diffuser....at the moment😂

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2020, 19:47 »
Thanks. That’s who I have been talking to but was having a final look around. I now have three to look at and I have a price for comparison. 🤔
« Last Edit: 25 May 2020, 19:55 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2020, 22:34 »
Perforated leather for the areas held the most is definitely the nicest tactile feel in my experience.
I found the alcantara steering wheel in my Ed40 stayed clean, but it’s an easy material to keep looking it’s best so long as it’s decent quality stuff that doesn’t wear in patches.
Perforated leather to the sides of the ‘wheel with alcantara sections top and bottom would be a nice contrast and fairly grippy.
I personally like the 12 o’clock marker. I appreciate it’s a bit OTT for many but I think it sets the ‘wheel off. Maybe a grey marker instead of red might be a bit more subtle.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2020, 11:05 »
Chris Harris had a good rant about alcantara and how awful it is to live with, as it soaks up sweat and dirt etc, it might look nice, but it should not be used as an everyday steering wheel material according to him.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Robo999

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2020, 11:17 »
I have an alcantara steering wheel and i find it to be perfectly fine. It just needs a little more attention than your average leather wheel for cleaning and you just need to keep in mind what it is, so no dirty hands, no hand cream, no cheese doritos  :laugh: i find it adds a nice element to the car. Something a little special. If you read reviews on clubsports they say that is one of the best pieces, ive done 27k in my car and the wheel looks brand new. Its not like im constantly cleaning it either and i dont have the cleanest of jobs. Id say go for the alcantara and just look up how to look after it. Theres a great video on youtube.

http://Https://youtu.be/KVAFuUGydgI
Mk7 GTI Edition 40 Clubsport no. 53

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2020, 08:03 »
I can vouch for Jack@Royal as I've used him for a number of wheels in the past.

I have the BMW Performance wheel on my 3er and that is Alcantara. I'd agree it is nice but not for a daily. My 3er doesn't see that much road time hence it still look good.

I'd definitely consider Exonian's suggestion of perforated leather on the sides and Alcantara on the top/bottom. Could be a really nice contrast and the Alcantara isn't then in high wear areas.