Author Topic: Banging noise from n/s rear  (Read 2507 times)

Offline BenGTI16v

• Not said much yet
Banging noise from n/s rear
« on: 05 February 2012, 20:15 »
Hi I am new to the forum, just bought myself a mk3 gti 16v and am really happy with it but I reversed off a kerb the other day and now I get a harsh banging noise from the n/s rear. It only does it when I first drive the car though (it can go away if a park the car for a few mins). I have looked at a few other posts that are similar and thier problems seem to be either beam bushes or strut top mounts etc but these seem to be permenant bangs, Ive checked the exhaust by giving it a good shake doesn't seem to be hitting anything so am not sure where to start if im honest any help appreciated thanks. 

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Banging noise from n/s rear
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2012, 10:15 »
As you mention, it's more than likely the top mounts, rear axle bushes or a faulty strut. Get a garage to stick it on a ramp and check it over properly if you can't find the problem.
Rear struts & top mounts are easily changed, rear axle bushes aren't quite as simple but not impossible for the home mechanic.

Offline BenGTI16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2012, 18:39 »
Thanks for the reply, Im an apprentice so getting it on a ramp at work isnt a problem. Ive had it up on the ramp and had an ex-vw  mechanic look at it and he reackons it would bang all the time if it was the axle bushes . I shall have another look at the weekend.

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2012, 19:46 »
check the exhaust mounts too, that would bang on the axle if loose and it's first thing to touch the floor when low or badly fitted
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk