Author Topic: Mk3 AGG 8v wont start following throttle body and distributor clean  (Read 5382 times)

Offline Adezmk3

• Here all the time
Hi,

Basically my 8v AGG won't start following having the cut out problem and not revving past 5000rpm.
I removed the throttle body which was caked in black grime and cleaned that thoroughly, then reassembled it.

I then foolishly got carried away and thought spraying some contact cleaner through the dizzy wouldn't be a bad idea (without seeing if the throttle body clean had worked) as the 5000rpm limiter has occasionally not happened so I assumed it could just be dirty in the distributor. Now the car wont start and I don't know if that is a result of the throttle body clean, or the dizzy.

When turning the engine over I can smell fuel and upon checking the plugs they are getting wet with petrol.

I checked I was still getting a spark which I am, but have no way of telling if its sparking in time.

I have now changed the dizzy cap and plugs and the car still won't start.

Any suggestions? I'm betting on the dizzy being at fault. Does anyone know where I can buy a recon or replacement one that isn't £110 like from VW?

Cheers

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Why did you spray the dizzy?
Get a hair dryer on that and try again.
Failing that try the coil
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Adezmk3

• Here all the time
Thanks for your response, The reason I have cleaned up the dizzy was because on a couple of occasions the car has revved over 5000rpm, so I cleaned the distributor out to rule out dirt as the 5000rpm culprit. I have had the electrical engineers at work test it and they said the hall sensor is fine, so my fault must be wiring related, although I do have a spark when the plugs are out, but the plugs get soaked in fuel when they are in...

I have found the breather tube is damaged from the front of the engine to the flying saucer, but sealing that up has made no difference.

Thanks,

Adrian

Offline Adezmk3

• Here all the time
Anyone know what a flashing oil light symbol means? Is that an indication of an electrical fault or something??

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
Anyone know what a flashing oil light symbol means? Is that an indication of an electrical fault or something??

low on oil.
like len said try the coil pack
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline Adezmk3

• Here all the time
This flashing oil light I didn't think was a 'low on oil', theres plenty in the engine and it randomly does it after attempting start up

Offline patc

• Not said much yet
I solved my similar problem by changing, in this order:

Coil pack
Dizzy cap (eBay £11)
Plugs
Leads
Crank sensor
ECU relay
Fuel pump relay

The winner seemed to be the 2 relays as its been faultless since, although the crank sensor needed doing anyway as it was shot!
PatC
Golf GTI MK3 Anniversary Edition

Offline todd

• GTI forum regular
Is it fixed now if so what was the problem ?
« Last Edit: 05 February 2012, 22:16 by todd »