Author Topic: can i tax my car without a cover note?  (Read 9388 times)

Offline phildaint

• Not said much yet
can i tax my car without a cover note?
« on: 02 September 2009, 21:10 »
ok, i have just bought a new car and changed the insurance over to it , it doesnt have tax and my new papers arent through yet so can i still tax the car or not? any way round it?

cheers, phil

Offline andc1

• I live here
Re: can i tax my car without a cover note?
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2009, 21:16 »
they will ask for mot, insurance papers, log book will help as they can scan the barcode but you can fill in a form for this instead,

any of these missing and they wont give you the tax,

fax copy of insurance is ok but the post office will double check by phoning your insurance company

Offline phildaint

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2009, 21:36 »
so ill be ok getting endsleigh to email the papers to me... and handing it to them?  or would the garage be ok to do it do you think, as they are insured on any car...

cheers

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2009, 22:01 »
Another way is to tax it online. It cost's an extra £2.50 but they can check MOT and Insurance straight away. All you need is the tax reminder or the document number off the logbook. If you tax online then print off a copy of the confirmation page at the end and display this until the disc arrives in the post which is usually a couple of days.

Cheers     Deano

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2009, 22:56 »
No they will not accept a cover letter. It has to be a policy, they will not accept a faxed copy.

You can do it all online aslong as your car hasnt changed insurance or had an MOT in the last 7 days otherwise it can't seam to find it.

Got a a garage and cheakly ask if you could get them to tax your car on their open policy  :evil:
« Last Edit: 02 September 2009, 22:58 by Adam »

Down Hill From Here.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2009, 18:00 »
No they will not accept a cover letter. It has to be a policy, they will not accept a faxed copy.

You can do it all online aslong as your car hasnt changed insurance or had an MOT in the last 7 days otherwise it can't seam to find it.

Go to a garage and cheakly ask if you could get them to tax your car on their open policy  :evil:

Yeah good luck with that - I recently bought a car and they would only tax it for me if I sent them a covernote/or certificate showing I was covered to drive it.  :rolleyes:

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2009, 22:45 »
Probably a bit late but they will happily accept printed copies of your insurance papers if you get your insurers to email it to you or like me are with swiftcover who I dont remember actually posting me anything.

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2009, 10:46 »

Go to a garage and cheakly ask if you could get them to tax your car on their open policy  :evil:

Yeah good luck with that - I recently bought a car and they would only tax it for me if I sent them a covernote/or certificate showing I was covered to drive it.  :rolleyes:

I recently bought a car and taxed it using a the garages insurance policy.  :huh:

Down Hill From Here.

Offline oakgreengolf

• I live here
  • CAR FOR SALE PM FOR FURTHER INFO
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2009, 20:40 »
apparently post offices should only accept genuine copies of insurance certificates. Saying that when I got refused my tax I went to another one which accepted my insurance note

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2009, 21:14 »
HIC email the certificate to you and all the details, which you print. And if you request one they only send you what you would print from their printer rahter than your own.

Really annoys me that they wont take the one printed at home, when joe bloggs can go on askmid to see if something is insured, and so can they.

Luckily i used to work for the shop with the post office in. haha