Author Topic: RNS 510 Bluetooth  (Read 3203 times)

Offline waxandhide

• Not said much yet
RNS 510 Bluetooth
« on: 30 June 2015, 12:49 »
Hi guys,

I picked up my 2011 Mk6 Gti DSG on Saturday and loving it so far.

The car came with the RNS 510 Navigation unit which has a 'Phone' button and additional 'Phone' button on the steering wheel controls. However, it doesn't have Bluetooth connectivity and I understand that VW fitted the controls/units to all cars and then charged customers more to add the connectivity which seems a little scrooge like, but hey ho.

As part of the deal, The VW dealer agreed to cover the cost to supply and fit phone Bluetooth but said that fitting the module that connects to the existing unit/controls would be very pricey (over £1k apparently) so agreed to fit the VW Parrot ad on.

I've been doing a bit of reading around and found this online which seems to be an OEM part allowing you to connect to the existing unit - http://goo.gl/dzlKo9

I rang this company and they've confirmed that it it compatible with my car, however the VW dealer is saying that it isn't and will only fit cars produced after October 2012 (mine is June 2011). Is this correct or are they trying to fob me off?

Cheers

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: RNS 510 Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2015, 13:02 »
Factory integrated bluetooth is a simple retro fit, however the kits using OEM modules that many of us have installed use an aftermarket wiring harness to connect them to the radio. The installation cannot be done using all VW parts, therefore VW won't do it and try to push you into the kit from their accessory range.

It's not a case of buying the additional wiring from VW either, as each car is built with a bespoke wiring loom. dependent on the spec it was ordered with.

The thread in the below link shows just how simple the installation is, so if I were you, I would buy the parts and install it yourself. 

www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=151928.0
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline waxandhide

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2015, 14:21 »
Thanks. That seems like a fairly good option although I'd like to try and get something out of the dealer as they've agreed to it as part of the deal but it seems silly to me to fit something aftermarket that doesn't make use of the existing features of the car.

Is the kit you posted above easy to install? Does it involve plugging the car into anything at all?

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2015, 20:50 »
Is the kit you posted above easy to install? Does it involve plugging the car into anything at all?

Easy peasy. Installation instructions are all in the link above. Fitting the hardware takes around an hour, then it's a case of coding to tell the car it's fitted. It's a simple box tick using VCDS, or I'm sure your dealer could activate it for you. It takes no more that a few seconds.