Author Topic: Wazzzer's 1.8T... Lots of updates  (Read 191082 times)

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: Wazzzer's 1.8T... wheels on (hurrah)
« Reply #780 on: 23 September 2016, 18:08 »
Hi mate cheers for the comments, she's a bit neglected at the mo with the insurance claim going through etc but I'll be getting the front end sorted soon

The cover is from an S3, quite expensive if you can get hold of them (around £50) but definitely worth it as it tidies up the engine bay a treat

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Gary#turbo

• GTI forum regular
  • 100%boostaddict http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/inde
Re: Wazzzer's 1.8T... wheels on (hurrah)
« Reply #781 on: 27 September 2016, 20:59 »
Ahhh hope it gets sorted soon for you pal and thanks I'll keep a look out for some

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: Wazzzer's 1.8T... it's been a while...
« Reply #782 on: 28 November 2016, 20:09 »
Okey dokey here's what I've been up to the last few months...

As I've said before I lost interest due to the damage on the front but that has now been sorted

No pics of how it looks now but I'm really happy with it, had the bonnet, tops of the wings and front and rear bumper painted

Before:

And the night I dropped it off, fuel cap removed for paint analysing to get the right colour match

Anyways all done so that's a plus :afro:

One of my calipers is complete, it's no surprise they were binding, the amount of crap I scraped out of the dust boot was crazy

New dust and main seals in, used red grease to lube them up

Braided lines attached, kept the original brackets on there and added some fuel pipe and a grommet to stop them rubbing through

Caliper now living on the bench, will strip the sticker off and touch up the paint; it's looking a bit sorry for itself due to my heavy handedness...

I also cleaned up the pad retainer and the pins

And the other caliper awaiting the same treatment

I bought some new caliper to adapter bolts but generic high tensile bolts rather than the proper Seat items, the genuine bolts are £15 EACH!

Also while the car was being sprayed I took the opportunity to get my mate to twindicate my Depos as he owed me a favour, just need to sort the wiring out

And that's pretty much it for now, I'll get the other caliper done soon and hopefully have it all back on this side of Christmas. I've sourced some A and B pillar trims, just on the hunt for some C pillar trims now.

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #783 on: 28 November 2016, 20:31 »
Glad it's been repaired and lives to fight another day.
Love them brakes! 😍

Build thread clicky

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #784 on: 28 November 2016, 20:51 »
Cheers mate, when it came down to it I couldn't give up on her...

The brakes do look sexy when they're on, I originally wanted the Porsche Boxter calipers but it's hit and miss what you see people advertising as the right ones. The LCR brakes stop very well though, I know that from having the standard ones back on lol

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #785 on: 22 February 2017, 22:42 »
Hey all, I've been really bad with updates recently as I haven't spent a lot of time on the car due to family and work commitments

One thing I have managed to do over the last few weeks is rip out my old failing aftermarket alarm system and fit a remote central locking kit. As some of you will know my Golf wasn't blessed with many options from the factory and one of the things missing was remote central locking. It instead had a Laserline alarm fitted which was now showing it's age.

I decided it's time was up one day at work and set about tracing wires and removing what I could without compromising security (as I have no door locks). A few lunchbreaks at work resulted in this

This kit was then bought for the central locking

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REMOTE-KEYLESS-ENTRY-CENTRAL-LOCKING-KIT-VW-LUPO-POLO/380337360544

I had the central locking up and running within an hour, a really good piece of hardware, just a shame the instructions aren't up to much...

Now this kit allows me full closure on locking, flashing turn signals when locking/unlocking and also a provision for boot release from the key, but more on that later :wink:

The keys are VW style fobs with HAA blades that can be cut to your original keys and also a space inside for a transponder chip to make them fully functional. I've done all this, coded them in and added a nice VW badge to the casing and they look pretty much like the real thing

That's it for the mo, I'll update with some more bits I've done recently including what I've done with the boot release but in the meantime I'll just leave this here... (excuse the crap quality, it didn't upload the right one)

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #786 on: 26 February 2017, 19:28 »
A little insight into how the auto boot pop works...

For the boot release I ran the appropriate wire to the boot and fitted a fuel flap release solenoid to the latch

Then I went ahead and fitted brand new boot struts and also ordered some die springs and had my mate turn some aluminium ends so the springs would fit on the struts and not rattle

The result

Automatic boot release and lift on the button :afro:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Wazzzer's 1.8T... Boot pop and lift on the key...
« Reply #787 on: 26 February 2017, 19:40 »
Thats pretty darn cool. If i had central locking on a fob on the mk2 id be definately doing that

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #788 on: 26 February 2017, 19:47 »
Thanks mate, took me a while to figure it out as I've run a button in the car as well but I didn't want it to be able to be popped with the ignition on (as I can see that ending in tears) so I had to wire up a relay. I'm not electronically minded so I got all that info from Imagewerx over on ukmkivs.

It was a universal kit I had fitted on the Golf, pretty sure it could be fitted on the Mk2 as well :afro:

Plans now are to get the boot smoothed as the handle is redundant :smug:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #789 on: 26 February 2017, 19:49 »
Good work Wes  :cool:

Could double as a self-defence device as no-one would expect the boot to pop up all the way  :whistle: :grin: