Author Topic: MK3 GTI rim ideas!  (Read 3154 times)

Offline general_piffle

• GTI forum regular
MK3 GTI rim ideas!
« on: 30 April 2017, 15:42 »
Hey, I'm currently running 16 inch rims with low profile tyres on coil-overs and to be honest the ride is a bit harsh. Am I right in thinking that if I swap back to 15 inch rims and regular tyres this should help smooth the ride out a bit?

Am looking at these as they remind me of the original VR6 BBS rims:

https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/momo/revenge/matt-black/15-inch

What do you run and what do you think works well with the MK3 GTI? Cheers!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: MK3 GTI rim ideas!
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2017, 16:36 »
15 with a 50 profile will give ypu a little more give but its only 5 percent on the profile. I assume you running 45 profile tyre on a 16.
Id also assume your on cheap coilovers which arnt compfy at the best of times.
But to answer you question sort of i have a 195/50/15 and coilovers and its a not too bad ride overall. It is a mk2 though but the mk3 is practically the same

Offline general_piffle

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2017, 17:09 »
15 with a 50 profile will give ypu a little more give but its only 5 percent on the profile. I assume you running 45 profile tyre on a 16.
Id also assume your on cheap coilovers which arnt compfy at the best of times.
But to answer you question sort of i have a 195/50/15 and coilovers and its a not too bad ride overall. It is a mk2 though but the mk3 is practically the same

Yep, 45 on a 16 but with decent Eibach Street-pro coil-overs. So maybe 205/50/15 tyres on those Momo alloys in the link would help smooth things out a bit!?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2017, 19:49 »
Have the eibach got damping adjustable. You could play with that and soften them up a little before spending out but a 50 profile should help with the ride.

Offline general_piffle

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2017, 10:32 »
No the damping is factory set. Needed to get a couple of tyres anyway as the rear both got crack/perish as an MOT advisory recently.

So have gone with those Momo black rims with 195/50/15 tyres. Hopefully will give a bit more bump protection!

What do you reckon is a good ride height to go with on those rims? Want it low but not fouling every speed-bump in Hampshire! Cheers.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2017, 13:06 »
Couldnt tell you. It should sit nearly the same with 15s on. My mk2 you can feel the top of the tyres. The front wishbones are nust pointing upwards instead of level where i wanted then but ive not readjusted the ride hieght yet anyway.