Author Topic: New tyres suggestions?  (Read 119041 times)

Offline david25

• I live here
Re: New tyres suggestions?
« Reply #390 on: 10 August 2019, 14:01 »
Auto express 1587 (235/50/18)

1. Nokia Powerproof
2. Falken Azenis FK510 SUV
3. Dunlop Sport MAXX RT2 SUV

Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #391 on: 16 August 2019, 09:46 »
At 26,500 miles just had first tyre change on the R and if it was not for a nearside puncture there was still some miles in the fronts - The rears still have lots of tread left in them

The R goes to auction in October and nice addition for whoever picks it up of some new fronts Michelin Pilot Sport 4 

Really surprised at how tyres have lasted my GTD only went 13,000 miles before had to put new fronts on them - whats the usual GTi change mileage?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #392 on: 16 August 2019, 10:00 »
I got 20k miles from my original Pirellis but that was for a full set as I kept the wear even by rotating them. My current PS4S are on 14k miles and at the last service in May the fronts were about 4mm so I'll be moving them around soon. I'm anticipating around 20k again.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #393 on: 16 August 2019, 10:05 »
I got 20k miles from my original Pirellis but that was for a full set as I kept the wear even by rotating them. My current PS4S are on 14k miles and at the last service in May the fronts were about 4mm so I'll be moving them around soon. I'm anticipating around 20k again.

Thanks for that, be happy with 20,000 when get the TCR, - If not for the puncture and while we are there may as well change approach this R would have stayed on its original set when handed it back at 3 years as still a pretty decent tread groove was left and no uneven wear - Nice for the next owner though :)

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #394 on: 16 August 2019, 11:11 »
At 26,500 miles just had first tyre change on the R and if it was not for a nearside puncture there was still some miles in the fronts - The rears still have lots of tread left in them

The R goes to auction in October and nice addition for whoever picks it up of some new fronts Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Really surprised at how tyres have lasted my GTD only went 13,000 miles before had to put new fronts on them - whats the usual GTi change mileage?

Can you not sell it to a 3rd party rather than it go to auction? I know that's an option on my company lease. Seems a shame as it sounds like a nice spec car and well cared for.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #395 on: 16 August 2019, 11:31 »

The R goes to auction in October and nice addition for whoever picks it up of some new fronts Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Can you not sell it to a 3rd party rather than it go to auction? I know that's an option on my company lease. Seems a shame as it sounds like a nice spec car and well cared for.

To be honest not inquired so that may be possible, the new one turns up and the old one goes straight to auction, just how I like it - One of reason lease and not take the ££ and sort myself is for the complete ease of ownership which has worked out well on this car as it has required a new bumper and new rear door due to impacts which were in reality quite light but in these days of swap over repair thats the decision that was made. - For me to deal with it was one phone call and rest is done for me.

But it is well looked after and mechanically not given a days problem, runs better now than when first got it, lovely and free and responsive and economy has improved to as miles have been put on with no change in driving style. - If I was keeping I would get a professional detail, and have the Pretoria refurbed as do have some kerb rash and for about £600 it would look brand new pretty quick.

Was considering buying this one, but thought get myself a later R and maybe keep that one, but given the seeming rarity of the TCR if ownership goes well and not miss the AWD too much that might be my first keeper.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #396 on: 16 August 2019, 11:40 »

To be honest not inquired so that may be possible, the new one turns up and the old one goes straight to auction, just how I like it - One of reason lease and not take the ££ and sort myself is for the complete ease of ownership which has worked out well on this car as it has required a new bumper and new rear door due to impacts which were in reality quite light but in these days of swap over repair thats the decision that was made. - For me to deal with it was one phone call and rest is done for me.

But it is well looked after and mechanically not given a days problem, runs better now than when first got it, lovely and free and responsive and economy has improved to as miles have been put on with no change in driving style. - If I was keeping I would get a professional detail, and have the Pretoria refurbed as do have some kerb rash and for about £600 it would look brand new pretty quick.

Was considering buying this one, but thought get myself a later R and maybe keep that one, but given the seeming rarity of the TCR if ownership goes well and not miss the AWD too much that might be my first keeper.

Fair enough. There is sometimes some very easy money to be made with lease cars as simple to get a settlement figure and offer to trade and make a quick £500 for an email and phone call.

Sure you will love the TCR. I seriously thinking of a facelift R when mine goes back next June. But I'd like to try a TCR to see how it compares to my current GTI.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #397 on: 16 August 2019, 15:13 »

Fair enough. There is sometimes some very easy money to be made with lease cars as simple to get a settlement figure and offer to trade and make a quick £500 for an email and phone call.

Sure you will love the TCR. I seriously thinking of a facelift R when mine goes back next June. But I'd like to try a TCR to see how it compares to my current GTI.

If felt had the time to I would maybe look to, but always seem to be fighting the tide with so many other things,  :grin: so a simple key swap and off you go to the R will do for me :)

Imagine there be a few TCR floating around in stock by then, though I must admit I would definitely look past an Akrapovich if I could not get a deal that beats the price of an R - Obviously everything is based on what deal you can get. but if the differential is is still similar to £1500 it now costs over the R its a no brainer to take the R (for me)

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
« Reply #398 on: 07 September 2019, 16:13 »
Trying to get hold of some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres. Was looking at the offer on Costco last week but as soon as I was about to sign up they were no longer showing up on the website. I'm after 225, 35, 19's.
Is it just my browser playing up or are they no longer available in that size on Costco?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #399 on: 07 September 2019, 17:14 »
Got mine via Blackcircles, good price and convenient as you can choose where you want them fitted from their list of garages.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.