Author Topic: New tyres suggestions?  (Read 121095 times)

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
Re: New tyres suggestions?
« Reply #410 on: 12 December 2019, 08:14 »
Both 18", both were VW demonstrators so I would assume no after market mods. Thinking about it, the standard GTI I drove was a 7, not a 7.5.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2019, 08:15 by ar899 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #411 on: 12 December 2019, 09:22 »
Shouldn't have made any difference...  the 7.5 is only a facelift.

I suspect it was just psychological..
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #412 on: 12 December 2019, 09:28 »
Thanks Fred, I didn't think it had changed but thought I would check, to be sure.

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #413 on: 17 December 2019, 11:21 »
Not that I'm wanting to get laughed off the forum as I'm enjoy it on here, but I always liked the Pirelli p zero's, I've never had them on a golf and never heard of anyone on here with them, is there a reason for that as they are at a really decent price at the minute and I'm tempted???  :undecided: 
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #414 on: 17 December 2019, 11:51 »
P Zeros are (or at least were) standard fit on GTIs with 19s so plenty on here, including me, will have had them. Mine were okay but would be provoked into tramping fairly easily even in the warm and dry. They lasted reasonably well, 20k miles from a set that was regularly rotated. Not very good rim protection though, my alloys were scuffed a few times with them on. The Michelins have been much better in many ways, grip, traction and rim protection. Ride felt better too. They can be a bit noisy albeit only on the concrete sections of the M25 in Surrey where they can drone. I think the P Zeros may have been updated recently as they seem to be getting good reviews but for now, I'll stick with the Michelins :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #415 on: 17 December 2019, 12:05 »
P Zeros are (or at least were) standard fit on GTIs with 19s so plenty on here, including me, will have had them. Mine were okay but would be provoked into tramping fairly easily even in the warm and dry. They lasted reasonably well, 20k miles from a set that was regularly rotated. Not very good rim protection though, my alloys were scuffed a few times with them on. The Michelins have been much better in many ways, grip, traction and rim protection. Ride felt better too. They can be a bit noisy albeit only on the concrete sections of the M25 in Surrey where they can drone. I think the P Zeros may have been updated recently as they seem to be getting good reviews but for now, I'll stick with the Michelins :smiley:

They certainly seem like they have to be thoroughly warm before you can put the power down in second gear. I'm glad someone else has had the same experience as me. I wanted to go with the PS4S but stuck with the P Zeros. Oh well, guess I know what I'll be having next!

Now to wear mine out so I can say to the other half, "Oh, it's a necessary expense"  :laugh:

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #416 on: 18 December 2019, 06:35 »
TCR has P Zero and I've been quite impressed with them so far. They do seem more sensitive to low temperature than the PS4 were but other than when it's very cold I've experienced little in the way of spin or tramping unless being very heavy footed.  Agree re the rim protector however - visually it appears larger than on the PS4 but as evidenced by my first scuff it isn't that effective (not excusing my poor judgement of course...). For those with Reifnitz, Halfords Satin Black does a good job for a, thankfully, very small touch up  :cry:
TCR 3 door

Offline Vw80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #417 on: 10 February 2021, 22:08 »
Hi.  Have 12kmiles on 18 PS4 and said time to swap them around on car. Was shocked to see fronts well worn in middle of tire to about 1mm off wear indicators but sides much better. First thought over inflated but on checking discovered were under 30psi so under inflated. Topped all up to 36psi. Confused and disappointed by poor wear.
Gti PP 2016 tornado red Dsg

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #418 on: 11 February 2021, 09:23 »
Hi.  Have 12kmiles on 18 PS4 and said time to swap them around on car. Was shocked to see fronts well worn in middle of tire to about 1mm off wear indicators but sides much better. First thought over inflated but on checking discovered were under 30psi so under inflated. Topped all up to 36psi. Confused and disappointed by poor wear.

That sounds like they have been over inflated for some time and likely the really cold weather has dropped the pressure.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #419 on: 11 February 2021, 09:44 »
If you have an uneven wear pattern like that, it can only be over inflation.

TBH though even then 12k probably isn't far off what I'd expect, its certainly in the ball park. Only the super hard BS's last much more (15k).
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC