Author Topic: Performance Pack or not??!!!!  (Read 8607 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Performance Pack or not??!!!!
« Reply #50 on: 20 April 2021, 11:41 »
by "protection" do you mean anti-freeze?

Should have said corrosion protection, as AFAIK that’s the main purpose of the silicate bag being there - to top up the silicates in the coolant so the aluminium components in the cooling system are protected from corrosion. There are silicates in G13 coolant, but they are used up over time, hence why if the bag is removed, it’s likely the coolant will need to be renewed periodically to ensure adequate silicate content is maintained.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #51 on: 20 April 2021, 11:47 »
Doesn't anti-freeze also contain anti-corrosion elements?

I'm totally not an expert, but years ago there was a thing that tested the level of anti-freeze using a pippet with a floaty ball in it.

Would this do the job?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 20 April 2021, 12:09 »
Doesn't anti-freeze also contain anti-corrosion elements?

I'm totally not an expert, but years ago there was a thing that tested the level of anti-freeze using a pippet with a floaty ball in it.

Would this do the job?

I believe it does, and I’m not an expert either - far from it!

I also had one of those anti freeze testers back in the late 1970’s. Coolant technology has no doubt moved on significantly since the 1970’s and whether those pipette type testers could be used to test for silicate content, I have no idea, but I’d hazard a guess you need something more sophisticated these days to test that coolant in a car’s cooling system is still fit for purpose.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #53 on: 20 April 2021, 13:24 »
It all seems a bit 'amateur' having a 'silica bag' placed in a water tank on a premium car - is this usual practice or was it a moment in time and things have moved on? What do you think the real life failure rate is?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #54 on: 20 April 2021, 13:45 »
I don't really know why they did it tbh.

If you consider the requirements for servicing to maintain your warranty, what could they be saving themselves from?

The failure of the bag seems to happen post-warranty period, so its not biting VW's pocket, but equally they haven't saved themselves from expense in the first place have they?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 20 April 2021, 22:56 »
If the coolant is never renewed, how can one be sure that, over a long period, it contains the correct concentration of G13? (For example if it had been topped up from time to time over the years)
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #56 on: 21 April 2021, 08:31 »
So is the thing to remove these bags then? And just renew coolant every 4-5 years?
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #57 on: 21 April 2021, 08:59 »
If the coolant is never renewed, how can one be sure that, over a long period, it contains the correct concentration of G13? (For example if it had been topped up from time to time over the years)

I don't really know - but equally as someone who never has old cars or tries to service them myself, is replacing the coolant or checking its anti-corrosion component content actually a thing?

Lots of things I'm aware are maintainance things that occur, but this?

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 21 April 2021, 09:39 »

I don't really know - but equally as someone who never has old cars or tries to service them myself, is replacing the coolant or checking its anti-corrosion component content actually a thing?

Lots of things I'm aware are maintainance things that occur, but this?

It certainly is in older cars. My 205 handbook advises drain and flush of coolant every 2 years.

Interestingly, the same handbook states that gearbox needs no oil change. The Haynes manual, however, suggest gearbox oil change every 2 years. I did mine a few months back- because it's an old car and I want it to survive forever. If I wanted a car to use for, say, 10 years, I may not bother.

I think the above discussion about VAQ Dif servicing reflects the uncertainty about whether it is worth doing or not. VW don't seem to know what to say to customers.
No reports of VAQ failure. I bet the Dif survives the useful life of the vehicle in the vast majority of cases, without the need for fluid change.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 21 April 2021, 09:42 »
So is the thing to remove these bags then? And just renew coolant every 4-5 years?

Personally I would leave it. I suspect the failure rate is very low, but because these tiny little bags cause such catastrophic damage, every case gets talked about.