Author Topic: oil catch can  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Tornado8

• GTI forum regular
oil catch can
« on: 03 July 2019, 21:18 »
Does anyone out there think that it is a good idea (being direct injection), especially if your car has been modded, and does it help that I have been using Shell V Power from day one? The car has covered 73000m :smiley:
Old, but a serial modder!

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: oil catch can
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2019, 09:33 »
Mods after 73km is pretty brave! :laugh:

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2019, 12:02 »
Doesn't the UK get the dual port/direct injection EA888? If so, no need for catch cans as carbon deposits won't be an issue.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2019, 12:30 »
It used to but newer models coming through haven't got dual port, think it was post wltp and coinciding with gpf fitment.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2019, 14:29 »
Whilst carbon deposits aren't (allegedly) an issue on earlier EA888's, I've heard of people who track their cars having issues with oil surging around the engine getting pumped into the inlet and (whilst not causing other issues) smoking a lot on long corners.

2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2019, 14:35 »
It used to but newer models coming through haven't got dual port, think it was post wltp and coinciding with gpf fitment.

And yet CW decided to retain dual port for the Polo GTI variant. It's a weird decision by VW. You'd think it would be beneficial to all EA888 or none. If VW had decided that the Golf GTI doesn't need it, I wonder what that justification is. Even with it on my Polo, the car will still very mildly kangaroo from a cold start as I maintain less than 10mph getting through my works car park. I thought that port injection at very low speeds was meant to eliminate that.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Tornado8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2019, 16:24 »
My car was bought in 2013, so I don't think there will be an issue. I found this on YOU TUBE which is quite amusing and informative https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBAqxSXFyb4 :smiley:
Old, but a serial modder!