Author Topic: AID blackout...scary!  (Read 1771 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
AID blackout...scary!
« on: 03 July 2019, 09:13 »
So this morning on my way to work I am driving along and busy flicking down my list of recently dialled numbers with the steering wheel controls...

Suddenly, AID goes completely off and then about 5 (long!) seconds later the dials reappear, the needle sweeps and everything returns.

Anyone else ever seen a AID reboot?

It was my one concern about VW AID when it came out - given what I had seen with my 14 plate GTD and the MIB unit freezing and rebooting!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: AID blackout...scary!
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2019, 09:31 »
It happened a number of times to a forum member’s Polo GTI+ over on the Polo forum. I think a software update solved whatever was causing the issue.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2019, 09:36 »
I've had the car pretty much 2 years and 45k miles now... this is the first time I've seen it happen. Mine is a 17 plate Mk7.5 - one of the first Mk7.5's.

I would have thought any software issues would have surfaced before now - the Polo is brand new still, so I'd understand that.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2019, 10:05 »
Bet that would be a bit off-putting! Happy to report I've never experienced that on either of my Mk7.5's...
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2019, 10:44 »
Bet that would be a bit off-putting! Happy to report I've never experienced that on either of my Mk7.5's...

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was going to come back or just stay off!

I suspect the crash was caused by me mashing the up/down buttons to scroll down my recent calls list. It certainly felt like the event was triggered by me.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2019, 17:46 »
Be interesting to see if it logged a fault

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2019, 18:05 »
So this morning on my way to work I am driving along and busy flicking down my list of recently dialled numbers with the steering wheel controls...

Suddenly, AID goes completely off and then about 5 (long!) seconds later the dials reappear, the needle sweeps and everything returns.

Anyone else ever seen a AID reboot?

It was my one concern about VW AID when it came out - given what I had seen with my 14 plate GTD and the MIB unit freezing and rebooting!

Happened to my Polo GTI+, but quite in the way you describe. Mine was blank from starting the car up and a few times it came on by itself but mainly it was me turning the car off and back on part way into my journey that brought it back. It never went off by itself mid journey.

A software update fixed it, except I'm stuck with the standard dials (which have an R style blue and white colour scheme) because they didn't apply the GTI update.

I'll get them to sort it out when the car goes in for its first service next month.

Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2019, 18:14 »
Can you not change the scheme with vcds Matt?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2019, 18:46 »
Can you not change the scheme with vcds Matt?

Not sure, but Pulman's reckoned it wasn't simply a skin choice. According to them, they connected to VW central in Germany, imported my reg no and that's the update applicable. Fonts are chunkier with a slight slant to the right and red/white colour scheme for Polo GTI vs thin fonts with slight slant to the left and blue/white colour scheme. It's been that way for 2 months. Made Pulman aware, but not fussed on going for a special trip to fix before my service is due.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.