Author Topic: Ambient Lights - wiring  (Read 11301 times)

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
Re: Ambient Lights - wiring
« Reply #20 on: 07 November 2017, 10:14 »
So it would appear the following means that the LED in the door card is a single colour unit however there are 3 wires on the connector 1 red and 2 black,  will it make any difference or will it be the case that it is just one colour its just there are 3 wires ? i just wonder as Cebbes said to swap the pins around so judging by the 3 wires there is clearly 2 neg and 1 positive will swapping 1 red and 1 black make a difference as there is still a negative ? or am i being daft it is quite possible  :grin:

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 07 November 2017, 10:41 »
So it would appear the following means that the LED in the door card is a single colour unit however there are 3 wires on the connector 1 red and 2 black,  will it make any difference or will it be the case that it is just one colour its just there are 3 wires ? i just wonder as Cebbes said to swap the pins around so judging by the 3 wires there is clearly 2 neg and 1 positive will swapping 1 red and 1 black make a difference as there is still a negative ? or am i being daft it is quite possible  :grin:

I'd try it as if you have 2 x neg & 1 x pos on the door card side of the wiring then basically they have two led circuits....pos to both but only neg to one which means the other one won't work as the circuit is not complete as no neg...

So disconnect the existing neg to disable that led circuit & connect the other neg to connect that LED circuit...

Simples...

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 07 November 2017, 11:28 »
haaaaaaaaa simple aye nae bother  :grin:

i shall send you a picture on Saturday  :rolleyes: because even though i just read what you said 5 times i still dont know which neg is connected to the working connection the wee black box has numbers 1 to 4 on them and i am not sure what ones were connected strange why they would have 2 neg and 1 positive ....no ?

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 07 November 2017, 19:21 »
Replaced footwell lights tonight and theyre really no bright at all ive got the slider to 100% any ideas ?

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 07 November 2017, 19:23 »

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 07 November 2017, 20:43 »
haaaaaaaaa simple aye nae bother  :grin:

i shall send you a picture on Saturday  :rolleyes: because even though i just read what you said 5 times i still dont know which neg is connected to the working connection the wee black box has numbers 1 to 4 on them and i am not sure what ones were connected strange why they would have 2 neg and 1 positive ....no ?
i think he's saying the live (red wire) should not be touched, it's the black wires that are the ones that decide the colour, so one black is to earth (making the circuit (white led)) and the other is not connected (not making the circuit (red led)), so swapping the two blacks over will make the red circuit and break the white circuit giving you a red glow

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 08 November 2017, 12:02 »
Replaced footwell lights tonight and theyre really no bright at all ive got the slider to 100% any ideas ?

The footwell lights are not very bright on the Golf, at 100% they are the same brightness as the ones in my old CC were at 20%
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 08 November 2017, 12:04 »

The footwell lights are not very bright on the Golf, at 100% they are the same brightness as the ones in my old CC were at 20%

I put the blues in and they are slightly brighter  :wink:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 08 November 2017, 17:48 »
Some LEDs are better than others ime.  I've found the ones with larger smd tabs (squares) much better in terms of output than the ones with small smd tabs, even though the latter may have more tabs.

So for example these

better than these ime

« Last Edit: 08 November 2017, 17:54 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 09 November 2017, 18:38 »

How do i get the pins out ? Anyone help