Author Topic: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement  (Read 19457 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement
« Reply #20 on: 08 February 2019, 09:04 »

See here: https://www.vwfinance.co.uk/en/privatecustomers/manage_agreement.html for the charges after 14 days

“How is my Quote Calculated?
The settlement figure is calculated using the rules set out in the Consumer Credit (Early Settlement) Regulations 2004 which is used by all creditors for regulated credit agreements. This rule states that the settlement figure should be calculated assuming a settlement date which is 28 days after the date on which the customer requests a settlement figure, or a later date if one is specified by the customer. Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited also adds one month’s further interest to give the final settlement figure as allowed by the relevant legislation.”

So it would cost you a bit more, but any deposit contribution is not mentioned. I don’t know what the finance law says, but I do know that our finance agreement was for the amount borrowed after all contributions were taken into account, including the deposit contribution, so, as I read it, VWFS have no subsequent legal claim on any such contribution. It seems they rely on the lack of public knowledge to make this work for them in, what must be, the majority of cases.

Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 08 February 2019, 09:30 »
having a look on drive the deal - i thought the performance pack came with the DCC - is this incorrect?

looking on the options i need to add it but i thought i had it. Is this worth it with the 19 inch alloys for a better ride?

also see you get the discount with the PCP - but i understand you can pay this off immediately - just to make sure i get this right - there is no interest implications if you do this? deal actually seems quite good on drive the deal. I can basically order the same car as i had for a very similar price. wonder if there are any options i should have had that i could add now...!  :smiley:

Yeah its perfectly doable, I know people in real life who have done it when they are cash buyers, as well as people on here.

No problem at all.

I'm glad that you took my hint - the DTD discount plus VWFS money makes buying nearly new seem like a rubbish deal.

Don't forget GAP this time! Pistonheads have their own GAP and there is a discount code for that too - its really not expensive and gives you more peace of mind. Utterly worth it!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 08 February 2019, 09:40 »
You should be able to pay off the finance in the first few days, you'll incur a nominal interest charge of a few pounds. Not much really, VWFS tend not to pursue customers for deposit contributions when they exit the finance agreement.

Let’s make this clearer. As discussed on here and as experienced by me and many others, you can pay off the finance in the first few days. You will be charged the interest due for those few days. VWFS will not persue you for the deposit contribution.

The dealer who sold us my wife’s car was (almost) embarassed when I asked him about it. They will not draw your attention to the possibility of doing this, but it is a function of current finance law that you have the right to terminate the agreement, whatever that agreement includes. The guy later admitted that he had done the same thing himself for his parents!
Indeed, early termination/withdrawal is covered by FCA consumer law. The interest charges will depend on what APR rate you are on, but as a guide interest on a £400pcm deal is roughly about £100 a month, so you will be charge the proportion part of that depending on how many days in the 14 day cooling off period, they may even charge you an "admin" fee also. VWFS will give you the settlement figure and you have 30 days to pay it. You'll pay interest on a daily basis until the point at which you say you want to terminate/withdraw. Just make sure you do it within the 14days, that is strict and non-negotiable.

Dealers currently have no legal recourse in claiming back a "deposit contribution" or incentive. It's like you going into a shop and buying a Mars bar that's been reduced from 80p to 50p... the shopkeeper chose to sell it at that price and give the money to YOU, therefore they have no recourse to claim it back once the transaction has been made.

Car companies are legally obliged to treat all customers equally and fairly, and not to discriminate between cash purchases and finance purchase, hence why the phrase "discount" was changed to "deposit contribution" a few years ago on finance products. A cash transaction and a finance transaction should be treated the same, but in reality we know that dealers are bound and targeted on finance sales and if everything was fair then they wouldn't try and charge 3x the interest on used cars, and try to upset you grossly inflated prices on "extras" such as sh!tty supaguard etc

:)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 08 February 2019, 09:41 »
Sorry to hear! As others have said on here before, anti-snap euro cylinders are the way to go for double glazed doors. I run my own double glazing repair business, & these type of locks are a simple but effective upgrade. External door plates can also be upgraded to a type that partially cover the euro cylinder. Also think about sash jammers for your casement windows, these are a simple retro fit. Best of luck from here on in.
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 08 February 2019, 09:51 »
I'm sure most people are aware of what lock snapping is, but if you're not then this guide from the master locksmiths association on what "lock-snapping" is, and how to protect yourself, is a really good place to start...

https://www.locksmiths.co.uk/security-advice/cylinder-snapping/

Thieves have also started to use blowtorches to melt their way into UPVC door lock cylinders.

HTH :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 08 February 2019, 12:44 »
You'll be surprised, most people have no idea what lock snapping is!
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 08 February 2019, 17:51 »
Never mind lock snapping, but I do know what a dog's jaws snapping around burglers arms and legs looks and sounds like  :grin: :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 08 February 2019, 22:12 »
Sorry to hear your news Sandsy.
Regarding getting another car, it was actually my losss adjustor that said 'don't let them put you off getting what you want' - but then he might have just been after more business :smiley: I was quite pleased I met him in person, it felt like a grilling but like to think we had a bit of rapport which helped in the end.
I was second owner and my car was about 10 months old but I was lucky enough to get back what I had paid for it. Got a new car by doing a Carwow price match deal on pCp with the deposit contribution which I then paid back in the 14 days with my insurance money. I was lucky enough also to have 28 days car rental for theft on my insurance, some policies have a lot less.

I do worry now and have beefed up security, can't garage, and although new locks fitted still no deterrent against the 'key' they used last time, a bloody big coping stone!

In my area recently   -
a Gti stolen by 4 on the doorstep with knives
 a 62 plate Beetle taken after house break in
 an attempt to steal car keys after brick through patio door at 4.30 pm.

My biggest wish would be to discover more detail about how/why the crimes are committed. It's a shame the police don't or can't share any information they glean, assuming they get anything much of course.

Hope you get a good result with insurance company etc.

Offline sandsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 09 February 2019, 09:15 »
Thanks for the advice / thoughts / sentiments. Just to absolutely clear - if you take the PCP do you have to pay it in 14 days cooling off (i probably would anyway) or can you do it anytime.

Bit of an update on where i am up to - none of the service i am receiving has been great.

House insurance - despite coming out last Monday and taking loads of photos etc they phoned me yesterday to say they needed to re-assess the locks. Asked why - clearly no idea so coming back out monday for that. So then will need another day to fit them...

Car insurance - a bit quiet on that front. They have spoken with the named drivers on my policy and i have sent them the spare key and the footage from my cameras. Not 100% sure what next step is with them. Need to speak to them but want to get myself ready to challenege any valuation

Service plan - this was dissappointing. Had the service plan - have paid £130 with the car never setting a tyre in the garage. Phoned yesterday to cancel / put on hold / maybe transfer to a future vehicle. None of the above allowed and (well i did cancel) and therefore a complete waste of money. It is in their ts&cs but would have thought a goodwill gesture would have been appropriate. Anyway formal complaint letter prepped and getting posted to VFS today.

Also any idea on lead times from drive the deal etc. My previous one took quite a while to come, will need to think about rental car soon as 1 car isn't going to work for long...

Have a good weekend everyone and good advice on the locks

Offline sandsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 09 February 2019, 13:51 »
https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-your-vehicle-has-been-stolen/personalised-registration-number

Hi all - can anyone help with this. I have printed the forms (V317) and completed option B. But it says  to also send the V5 away with it. Does anyone understand if i need to complete anything on the V5?

I assume that i will then get a new V5 back with my normal (old) reg, then depending on what happens with the insurance i will then need to send this back saying i have sold to insurer if they settle?

I tried to call them but lines are busy and they close in 20 mins. So will try again on Monday morning.