Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529437 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #530 on: 03 May 2016, 19:33 »
As I have mentioned before, I'm not that impressed with the smallest of the wheel woolies so I bought this http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/ez-detail-brush-mini/prod_581.html to supplement the larger wheel woolies.

Just beware with that brush as the tip can come off and it leaves bare metal. It scored my alloy on my previous car. But yeah I do agree they are good brushes.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #531 on: 03 May 2016, 20:18 »
As I have mentioned before, I'm not that impressed with the smallest of the wheel woolies so I bought this http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/ez-detail-brush-mini/prod_581.html to supplement the larger wheel woolies.

Just beware with that brush as the tip can come off and it leaves bare metal. It scored my alloy on my previous car. But yeah I do agree they are good brushes.
I thought that as soon as I saw it but it's my go to brush at the moment because it reaches through my front wheel without jamming on the brake disc. I'll keep a look out for the end coming off :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #532 on: 04 May 2016, 21:42 »
Evening all,

Had some time on my hands on Saturday so the old girl finally got the clean she was so desperate for.

My detailing arsenal is pretty basic but none the less I treated myself to an autobrite snowfoam lance a few weeks ago and this was the first chance i've had to use it. I have to say, what a piece of kit!
I used it in combination with Quartz snow foam and couldn't believe how thick and creamy it was. I definitely could have covered my car three times, and the foam stayed put for an age. In fact it was so thick it actually felt like snow under foot, and the following morning there was still foam in the gutter out front!
I'd tried the little Karcher lance previously which was a massive let down; The Autobrite lance is worth every extra penny.

I also grabbed up Wo-Wo's easter bundle and again this was the first chance I've had to use the products, which did not disappoint! The wash mitt is simply awesome. It holds so much water and shampoo, it stays warm and you can flip it over without going back to the bucket. The drying towel, MF cloths and glass cloth are what they are, but the quality is obvious and they do their job better than any other i've used. I could defintely do with a second towel though, and I'm not sure how well it will cope after a few washes.

Now i know a lot of you guys here use this stuff all the time and then some, so of course I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I'd still be using a bucket and sponge if it wasn't for you lot, so cheers! and i'll let the photo's do the rest of the talking:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #533 on: 04 May 2016, 22:06 »

A beauty. :cool:  I love your car.

There is no substitute for a proper snow foam lance. To keep it free from snow foam residue - run some fresh water through it at the end of a snow foam session, once all the solution is used up, which helps clear out the residue before it dries in the mechanism.  Stick it in some descaler now and then if you have hard water and it should perform well for years. 

You'll be pleased to hear WoWo towels cope admirably with many many washes. I have mine now from when the first came out and they are in fantastic condition - machine washed after every use (don't use fabric conditioner) and tumbled dried (don't use dryer sheets).  Perfect condition. Same with their wash mitts - treat them as you would a favourite wool jumper - good rinse and gentle squeeze out after use, reshape and leave to air dry in their own mesh bag.  Last much longer than any other mitt I had.

Great job.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #534 on: 04 May 2016, 22:27 »
Evening all,

Had some time on my hands on Saturday so the old girl finally got the clean she was so desperate for.

My detailing arsenal is pretty basic but none the less I treated myself to an autobrite snowfoam lance a few weeks ago and this was the first chance i've had to use it. I have to say, what a piece of kit!
I used it in combination with Quartz snow foam and couldn't believe how thick and creamy it was. I definitely could have covered my car three times, and the foam stayed put for an age. In fact it was so thick it actually felt like snow under foot, and the following morning there was still foam in the gutter out front!
I'd tried the little Karcher lance previously which was a massive let down; The Autobrite lance is worth every extra penny.

I also grabbed up Wo-Wo's easter bundle and again this was the first chance I've had to use the products, which did not disappoint! The wash mitt is simply awesome. It holds so much water and shampoo, it stays warm and you can flip it over without going back to the bucket. The drying towel, MF cloths and glass cloth are what they are, but the quality is obvious and they do their job better than any other i've used. I could defintely do with a second towel though, and I'm not sure how well it will cope after a few washes.

Now i know a lot of you guys here use this stuff all the time and then some, so of course I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I'd still be using a bucket and sponge if it wasn't for you lot, so cheers! and i'll let the photo's do the rest of the talking:

One of the very best number plates I have ever seen. Brilliant :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #535 on: 05 May 2016, 12:49 »
Car looks mint Jimmy and thanks for the feedback on the wowo products too. With regard the DT, I actually think that they perform better after a few uses and I'm still using the pre-production prototypes.

Cheers

Neil

Offline Ganno

• Not said much yet
« Reply #536 on: 05 May 2016, 15:11 »
Evening all,

Agree with the other comments, excellent example of the MK3 Jimmy. Interesting to see you use some Simoniz products, I work for the company that makes them but freely admit to Dodo Juice being my weapons of choice when it comes to shampoo and waxes!
Mark 7.5 GTI 3 door Isaac Blue Steel
Mark 7 GTD 3 door Tornado Red
Mark 4 GTI 3 door Anthracite

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #537 on: 06 May 2016, 11:09 »
Looking great Jimmy!

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #538 on: 08 May 2016, 21:01 »

A beauty. :cool:  I love your car.

There is no substitute for a proper snow foam lance. To keep it free from snow foam residue - run some fresh water through it at the end of a snow foam session, once all the solution is used up, which helps clear out the residue before it dries in the mechanism.  Stick it in some descaler now and then if you have hard water and it should perform well for years. 

You'll be pleased to hear WoWo towels cope admirably with many many washes. I have mine now from when the first came out and they are in fantastic condition - machine washed after every use (don't use fabric conditioner) and tumbled dried (don't use dryer sheets).  Perfect condition. Same with their wash mitts - treat them as you would a favourite wool jumper - good rinse and gentle squeeze out after use, reshape and leave to air dry in their own mesh bag.  Last much longer than any other mitt I had.

Great job.  :smiley:

Sound advise, Thank you!

One of the very best number plates I have ever seen. Brilliant :smiley:

Just some photoshop trickery i'm afraid  :whistle: I tried a few different reg combo's to get something that resembled 'rehab' but nothing came close! strictly a future show plate

Car looks mint Jimmy and thanks for the feedback on the wowo products too. With regard the DT, I actually think that they perform better after a few uses and I'm still using the pre-production prototypes.

Cheers

Neil

excellent! it will certainly be getting a fair bit of use this summer, and i'll undoubtedly be ordering a couple more!

Agree with the other comments, excellent example of the MK3 Jimmy. Interesting to see you use some Simoniz products, I work for the company that makes them but freely admit to Dodo Juice being my weapons of choice when it comes to shampoo and waxes!

To be honest they were a bit of an impulse buy a couple of weeks ago, at half price it seemed rude not too! I really rate their rattle cans and have used them loads for different little projects. The shampoo/wax did a great job, soaped up real nice, and the glass cleaner was great too; It actually rained the night after this clean and the whole car was covered in dusty water spots the next morning, all other than the glass! I've got the wax to try out next time too.

Looking great Jimmy!

Thank you everyone for the kind words! Hoping to get her mopped next time, see if i can really get her to shine!

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
Re: What detailing have you done today (Saturday)?
« Reply #539 on: 09 May 2016, 11:50 »
Had a bit of a hectic weekend with a puncture on Friday night and ended up using as an excuse to ditch the front bridgestones and get Michelin PS4s fitted on Saturday, I decided to treat the car to a full wash afterwards - mainly to remove tyre fitting gunk. See this thread for more detail on the tyre situation... http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277824.0

My usual method based upon the teachings of Rebecca is:
  • pressure washer rinse
  • snow foam (valet pro advanced), leave to dwell whilst filling wash buckets (about 5-10 mins) and pressure washer rinse off.
  • clean wheels - spray on VP wheel cleaner, wait 5 mins, then agitage with big wheel woolie/wo-wo wheel mit, then pressure washer rinse off
  • 2 bucket wash - DDJ supernatural shampoo and Wo-Wo lambswool mit
  • pressure washer rinse off shampoo
  • open hose rinse
  • towel dry using DDJ and wo-wo towels
  • dress tyres with PB natural look
  • exterior glass clean with AG fast glass and wo-wo glass cloths

2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000