Author Topic: HOW TO: Retrofit an RNS510 Sat Nav System.  (Read 151617 times)

Offline mkviken

• I live here
Re: HOW TO: Retrofit an RNS510 Sat Nav System.
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2011, 10:36 »
my car has DYNAUDIO from the factory and RCD510

if i were to go for the RNS510 would there be a problem running the dynaudio system?

do i need any extra wiring harness etc?

is it just a case of fitting the head unit like for like and hiding the gps antenna behind the dash? that seems too easy!

i don't have access to VAGCOM so would the dealers activate this system for me?

thanks

oh also i don't have bluetooth phone prep. does the RNS510 have this feature built in or do i need the module that fits under the front seat also? i have steering wheel voice controls but they don't work
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2011, 05:13 »
The RNS 510 plugs straight in and will work* as soon as the radio code has been activated.
No additional wiring is needed.

*You will need either a friendly dealer or a local VAG-COM/VCDS owner to activate the nav directions on the MFD screen (and to get the dynaudio fully working it seems).

The RNS 510 doesn't have Bluetooth inbuilt, from what I can tell from forums the latest SEAT Media System 2.2 which seems to be a SEAT branded RNS 315 (google it as it is similar in some ways to the RNS 510 but different in spec) has inbuilt Bluetooth (but probably needs an external mic fitted at a guess). VW probably also do a Bluetooth version of this headunit fitted to the Passat CC and other models. You'd need to fully digest the contents of the VW NAVI forums to keep up with all the ever changing technology.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2011, 09:32 »
thanks for your help there. thats just what i was after

i had a look at vwnavi.com yesterday and lost the will to live after 3 pages of RNS510 threads! its pretty heavy going.

I'm annoyed that the bloke who ordered my car (i bought it new as a cancelled order) didn't spec bluetooth as its the only thing i would have spec'd differently. strange that he upgraded to RCD510 and dynaudio but didn't pay the extra few quid for bluetooth!

i personally wouldn't pay £2k for sat nav but its well worth retro fitting if you can find a cheap one. i won't be ripping my interior apart to fit the bluetooth though.

I've seen RNS510 on ebay for around £600 with the gps antenna so may well take a punt on one. my VW dealer should setting it up for me.

i doubt i would use the sat nab much but the DVD player would be handy for the baby and 30gb HDD means i don't have to leave my iPhone plugged in. i keep forgetting I left it in the car!

one last thing... what software version/model should I go for if I buy used? my car is brand new build. I've see model C,D etc etc

can the firmware be updated etc? can I buy new DVD at later date to keep the maps accurate?

thanks
« Last Edit: 04 October 2011, 09:36 by mkviken »

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2011, 09:42 »
oh sorry i also forgot to ask about DAB

my car has RCD510 with DAB which i love and want to keep if i do upgrade to RNS510.

do the RNS510 have this as standard or is there 2 types of RNS510 (DAB and non-DAB)?

how would i know if it had DAB if i buy a used one?

thanks for any advice

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 04 October 2011, 15:56 »
Ah, here we have another problem! DAB can't be ordered with the RNS 510 but the SEAT Media System 2.2 has bluetooth and DAB as standard (RNS 315). There are so many anomalies with the head units and all of them can work with all models with a bit of coding but can't actually be ordered with all models in this country if you follow me. In Germany you can probably order one of about half a dozen headunits!
I think that is why your car perhaps doesn't have bluetooth, as I'm not sure you can spec bluetooth and DAB together (plus Dynaudio) as there are only so many connections on the back of the unit.

Unfortunately the RNS 315 doesn't have the big hard drive that the RNS 510 has and from memory takes it's stuff from an SD card or CD/DVD. I'm not sure it can play movies.

There are OEM looking units from some of the big brands that have nearly all of the features of the RNS 510 plus maybe bluetooth built in but I'm not sure if they will have the DAB. It's so hard to keep up with this stuff as there's new things being introduced every couple of months. There are also a lot of Chinese OEM looking head units that have all sorts of features.

You can get rips of the latest maps and speed camera POIs online for not much money.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline vw man

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2011, 08:31 »
The RNS 510 plugs straight in and will work* as soon as the radio code has been activated.
No additional wiring is needed.

*You will need either a friendly dealer or a local VAG-COM/VCDS owner to activate the nav directions on the MFD screen (and to get the dynaudio fully working it seems).

The RNS 510 doesn't have Bluetooth inbuilt, from what I can tell from forums the latest SEAT Media System 2.2 which seems to be a SEAT branded RNS 315 (google it as it is similar in some ways to the RNS 510 but different in spec) has inbuilt Bluetooth (but probably needs an external mic fitted at a guess). VW probably also do a Bluetooth version of this headunit fitted to the Passat CC and other models. You'd need to fully digest the contents of the VW NAVI forums to keep up with all the ever changing technology.

Hi

I am just about to buy a passat with built in phone prep which works with a bliuetooth connection, ifi fit a RNS510 will it work with my phone or will i have to buy another bluetooth module to work with the RNS510

I am

Offline Dub_master77

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2011, 12:06 »
Hi,

Very interesting thread.  I have a few questions which I hope someone can help me with
I have a RNS510c which I removed from my old mark 5 to go into my brand new mk6 Golf Bluemotion Match.
The car has OPS (optical parking sensors) which gives me a screen on the stereo unit.  If I swap out the stereo will I lose this function ?  Its not a parking camera just for clarification.  I know that the new stereo has DAB which I am not too bothered about which I will lose but what about the bluetooth functionallity ?  Is this a module on the back of the stereo or is it built into the stereo.
The other question is with regards to the MDI thats on the car.  Will this work with the RNS510c after the swap out ?

Thanks..>Dub

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2011, 15:17 »
Hi,

Very interesting thread.  I have a few questions which I hope someone can help me with
I have a RNS510c which I removed from my old mark 5 to go into my brand new mk6 Golf Bluemotion Match.
The car has OPS (optical parking sensors) which gives me a screen on the stereo unit.  If I swap out the stereo will I lose this function ?  Its not a parking camera just for clarification.  I know that the new stereo has DAB which I am not too bothered about which I will lose but what about the bluetooth functionallity ?  Is this a module on the back of the stereo or is it built into the stereo.
The other question is with regards to the MDI thats on the car.  Will this work with the RNS510c after the swap out ?

Thanks..>Dub

Your parking sensors will work with your RNS510 on screen.
The bluetooth is an external unit and not part of the head unit so yes that will work.
Yes the MDI will work fine.

*You will need the car coded (vag.com) to have the full functions of the RNS510 working.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Dub_master77

• Just got here
« Reply #18 on: 25 November 2011, 17:57 »
Thanks for the update.  It took me all of 15 mins to tear out the old one and put the new one in and it does work fine.
The major concern that I had was the OPS on screen and there was no problems with that.
Just need to find someone in the midlands to do the vag com element and its all good to go.
Quick question, does the RNS play ISO files and in specfic, those that have been copied on USB connected via the MDI ?

Offline finnie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 14 March 2012, 07:45 »
Hi guys. Just picked up a 60 plate 5 door GTD with the information bit in the binnacle (not sure if that was standard) I have ordered an RNS 510 and gps reciever which should arrive tomorrow. What exactly will I need to get coded or will I be lucky and find everything works????