Author Topic: Ridiculous condensation  (Read 7594 times)

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Ridiculous condensation
« Reply #30 on: 19 January 2020, 10:59 »
I’m out of warranty but I have so little faith in the dealership that I went at it myself becoase at least I knew I would do it right ! good luck in getting it all sealed up satisfactory.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 19 January 2020, 14:54 »
After having my car for a few weeks no, I'm starting to get the condensation issue. The most annoying part is that there's condensation on the windscreen when I get in the car and there's no way for me to get it off without doing it myself. I start the engine and press the Windscreen Max button but it doesn't even touch it until I start driving. I could sit there for 10 min and I don't think the condensation would clear on the inside of the windscreen.

Another annoying issue I found is that when the car is parked I can get in and start driving, about 2 min later the inside of the windscreen starts misting up very fast as I'm driving. Obviously this is quite dangerous and the only solution I've found is to leave the fans on very low on the windscreen. Never had that happen on a car before where it starts rapidly misting up while driving, just after being parked.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 19 January 2020, 15:35 »
Do you turn your heating off after demisting your screen? Do you not just leave your climate control on at all times?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 19 January 2020, 20:49 »
Well I just spent most of the day trying to find a water leak in rear drivers footwell. Noticed condensation on the window and checked the footwell. Wet but not sopping. Saw drips of water coming from under where the speaker is in the rear door. So took the door card off and immediately saw drips of water at the bottom of the speaker. Why VW thought it would be a good idea to rivet the speakers in I’ll never know. So I drilled the 4 rivets out. Removed the electrical connector and removed the speaker. Sure enough the liquid gasket has failed right at the bottom of the speaker. I removed all the old gasket to get it perfectly clean. Applied new liquid gasket, set it back into position and then put in 4 new rivets. After that I put another small layer of liquid gasket along the speaker where it sits. Then put the door card back on. Car is in the garage now with the heat on full whack to try and dry the carpet. All in all spent about 5 hours on it with lots of colourful language and coffee breaks. Checked the other 3 speakers and they seem dry but I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time before this happens on the other doors. Why they couldn’t use a proper gasket and bolts to hold the speaker in I’ll never know. Penny pinching ?? Hopefully it works now and it stays dry.  :rolleyes:

Nice job although painstaking at least you know it’s done and done properly. The seal goes on the old Mk1 Fabia’s round the interior door panel so you have to seal it up with silicone as it’s all riveted. Guessing it’s the same style seal they use.

I’ve had condensation but only slightly and mine was the rubber boot that takes the wiring into the rear hatch. The clip had broken. That was a ball ache to swap out for a new one too.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 19 January 2020, 20:52 »
Do you turn your heating off after demisting your screen? Do you not just leave your climate control on at all times?

Agreed as should just be left on however if Lordie has water ingress somewhere then when the climate control is just on auto it will mist up quite quickly again as it turns down to control the temperature on low.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 22 January 2020, 21:29 »
Just tried something different one the way home today, now I'm even more confused. So I drove to a friends house with the climate control set to OFF.

On the way back about 5 min down the road I noticed a very very small amount of condensation with it set to OFF, so it set it to windscreen and the fan speed was on very low (speed 1 or 2). At that point the window misted up very fast in about 5 seconds and I was struggling to see where I was going. I had to really quickly hit the MAX Windscreen button while trying to dodge a poorly lit pedestrian crossing island in the middle of the road on a slight bend. Fun times. Luckily then it clears in a few seconds, but so annoying.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 22 January 2020, 21:42 »
Just tried something different one the way home today, now I'm even more confused. So I drove to a friends house with the climate control set to OFF.

On the way back about 5 min down the road I noticed a very very small amount of condensation with it set to OFF, so it set it to windscreen and the fan speed was on very low (speed 1 or 2). At that point the window misted up very fast in about 5 seconds and I was struggling to see where I was going. I had to really quickly hit the MAX Windscreen button while trying to dodge a poorly lit pedestrian crossing island in the middle of the road on a slight bend. Fun times. Luckily then it clears in a few seconds, but so annoying.
what did you expect to happen with the climate control set to off in this weather? It's damp and cold! Why don't you just turn your climate control to auto and then leave it alone? In just over three years of ownership the only times I've ever touched mine is on a cold morning where it goes to max setting on screen and then when it's finished it's left in auto to automatically do it's thing.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2020, 23:11 by mcmaddy »

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 22 January 2020, 22:55 »

what did you expect to happen with the climate control set to off on this weather? It's damp and cold! Why don't you just turn your climate control to auto and then leave it alone? In just over three years of ownership the only times I've ever touched mine is on a cold morning where it goes to max setting on screen and then when it's finished it's left in auto to automatically do it's thing.

I think you read my message wrong. My window stayed clear when it was set to OFF but started misting up really fast when I switched it ON and put the fan speed to low, then only clearing when I whacked it up to Max. Never had anything like that in any of the other cars I've owned, was just saying that it seemed a bit strange to rapidly mist up when the windscreen setting is activated.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 22 January 2020, 23:15 »
I think probably every car will do it especially in this weather. Misting when you switch it on from being off is probably warm air coming out of the screen vents and hitting the colder screen. Once the climate control is doing it's thing it clears very quickly. I would say just leave it in auto and let it keep the air to the temp you select.