Author Topic: Ridiculous condensation  (Read 7664 times)

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: Ridiculous condensation
« Reply #20 on: 11 November 2019, 13:08 »
I get in to a soaking wet windscreen, i reckon I’ll need a scraper for the inside when it gets cold like my old beetle used to

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 11 November 2019, 14:17 »
  Here is a possible theory   - When I start my car (2016 GTD) initially the heating and ventilation system doesn't do very much for about the first 5 seconds, as in next to sod all. After this initial time lapse, it all starts coming to life with the circulating fan cycling up and then the heating/ventilation process begins. I can only presume that the HVAC module has been setup to do this deliberately so as to ensure that the battery load is minimised as much as possible so as to ensure the maximum available capacity is there for the engine start up process and to allow the load on the electrics to settle before the ancillaries kick in properly? The downside is that in those 5 secs while sitting in the car (with doors and windows closed), is more than enough time (at this time of year) for the darned thing to mist up!! What I've started doing is unlock the car; hold my breath; open driver's door; get in; start car (still holding breath!) and count to five - circulating fan cycles up and then... b-r-e-a-t-h  :laugh:
 I know, it is less than ideal. Wouldn't mind guessing that there is scope to adjust the HVAC module through VCDS or something similar...?

I can only assume this is a wind-up?

I've had no issues with condensation with either Mk7.5. I leave it in auto, with ac on all year.

Daft question - OP have you made sure your ac is on?

His car is off.

Yes, wasn't suggesting he leaves it running. But not using ac when driving could cause it to get condensation when parked. Simple really.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 15 January 2020, 18:28 »
Yes air is always on and re gassed last month.

Since leaving my air direction to the windscreen I’ve had no condensation in 2 days so far .....

Any update on this post?  :grin: Been reading through the replies and it's quite entertaining and interesting at the same time

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 15 January 2020, 18:45 »
Yes air is always on and re gassed last month.

Since leaving my air direction to the windscreen I’ve had no condensation in 2 days so far .....

Any update on this post?  :grin: Been reading through the replies and it's quite entertaining and interesting at the same time

I don’t think it helped in the end.
What has improved condensation is I took the rear door cards off, ran water down the outside window and sealed all the clips, speakers and rubber seals that were letting drips of water in.

2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2020, 18:04 »
I don’t think it helped in the end.
What has improved condensation is I took the rear door cards off, ran water down the outside window and sealed all the clips, speakers and rubber seals that were letting drips of water in.

Glad to hear. Sounds like a lot of effort for anyone that has this issue. Not sure if it will happen with mine yet. But I had it on my last 2 cars and scraping ice off the inside of the windscreen is a complete joke!

Offline WD-40

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 16 January 2020, 19:27 »
Mine seems really bad this year too, very frustrating - definitely nowt to do with AC
Current:
2018 BMW M2
2002 Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 4

Ex:
2017 GTI Clubsport Edition 40 #645, MG Midget, Audi S4 Avant, Mercedes-AMG C63, Porsche Cayman S Sport, BMW Z4MR, Honda S2000, Alfa Romeo GTV, Peugeot 106 Rallye, Austin Mini E amongst others

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 18 January 2020, 11:43 »
See I turned my AC off and got hardly any water on the inside compared to bottom half of windscreen so wet it leaves water spots and takes 10 minutes to dry with AC on

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 18 January 2020, 14:56 »
See I turned my AC off and got hardly any water on the inside compared to bottom half of windscreen so wet it leaves water spots and takes 10 minutes to dry with AC on

I haven’t tried that. Worth a go. Thanks
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 18 January 2020, 19:31 »
Well I just spent most of the day trying to find a water leak in rear drivers footwell. Noticed condensation on the window and checked the footwell. Wet but not sopping. Saw drips of water coming from under where the speaker is in the rear door. So took the door card off and immediately saw drips of water at the bottom of the speaker. Why VW thought it would be a good idea to rivet the speakers in I’ll never know. So I drilled the 4 rivets out. Removed the electrical connector and removed the speaker. Sure enough the liquid gasket has failed right at the bottom of the speaker. I removed all the old gasket to get it perfectly clean. Applied new liquid gasket, set it back into position and then put in 4 new rivets. After that I put another small layer of liquid gasket along the speaker where it sits. Then put the door card back on. Car is in the garage now with the heat on full whack to try and dry the carpet. All in all spent about 5 hours on it with lots of colourful language and coffee breaks. Checked the other 3 speakers and they seem dry but I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time before this happens on the other doors. Why they couldn’t use a proper gasket and bolts to hold the speaker in I’ll never know. Penny pinching ?? Hopefully it works now and it stays dry.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 18 January 2020, 19:55 by Carbon VW »
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 18 January 2020, 22:08 »
Well I just spent most of the day trying to find a water leak in rear drivers footwell. Noticed condensation on the window and checked the footwell. Wet but not sopping. Saw drips of water coming from under where the speaker is in the rear door. So took the door card off and immediately saw drips of water at the bottom of the speaker. Why VW thought it would be a good idea to rivet the speakers in I’ll never know. So I drilled the 4 rivets out. Removed the electrical connector and removed the speaker. Sure enough the liquid gasket has failed right at the bottom of the speaker. I removed all the old gasket to get it perfectly clean. Applied new liquid gasket, set it back into position and then put in 4 new rivets. After that I put another small layer of liquid gasket along the speaker where it sits. Then put the door card back on. Car is in the garage now with the heat on full whack to try and dry the carpet. All in all spent about 5 hours on it with lots of colourful language and coffee breaks. Checked the other 3 speakers and they seem dry but I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time before this happens on the other doors. Why they couldn’t use a proper gasket and bolts to hold the speaker in I’ll never know. Penny pinching ?? Hopefully it works now and it stays dry.  :rolleyes:

I've got exact same problem on mine,  it's booked in for its 2nd service in 2 weeks and I've reported the water leak to them along with a couple of other warranty issues. The garage have asked to have it for 2 days so they can identify and fix in one visit as I can't be taking back and forth all the time.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.