Author Topic: Ridiculous condensation  (Read 7603 times)

Offline shiners

• Not said much yet
Re: Ridiculous condensation
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2019, 15:45 »
  Here is a possible theory   - When I start my car (2016 GTD) initially the heating and ventilation system doesn't do very much for about the first 5 seconds, as in next to sod all. After this initial time lapse, it all starts coming to life with the circulating fan cycling up and then the heating/ventilation process begins. I can only presume that the HVAC module has been setup to do this deliberately so as to ensure that the battery load is minimised as much as possible so as to ensure the maximum available capacity is there for the engine start up process and to allow the load on the electrics to settle before the ancillaries kick in properly? The downside is that in those 5 secs while sitting in the car (with doors and windows closed), is more than enough time (at this time of year) for the darned thing to mist up!! What I've started doing is unlock the car; hold my breath; open driver's door; get in; start car (still holding breath!) and count to five - circulating fan cycles up and then... b-r-e-a-t-h  :laugh:
 I know, it is less than ideal. Wouldn't mind guessing that there is scope to adjust the HVAC module through VCDS or something similar...?

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2019, 15:58 »
Check the spare wheel well is dry as if you have a leak in the tailgate or around the rear light cluster, water will pool there and cause condensation.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2019, 16:52 »
  Here is a possible theory   - When I start my car (2016 GTD) initially the heating and ventilation system doesn't do very much for about the first 5 seconds, as in next to sod all. After this initial time lapse, it all starts coming to life with the circulating fan cycling up and then the heating/ventilation process begins. I can only presume that the HVAC module has been setup to do this deliberately so as to ensure that the battery load is minimised as much as possible so as to ensure the maximum available capacity is there for the engine start up process and to allow the load on the electrics to settle before the ancillaries kick in properly? The downside is that in those 5 secs while sitting in the car (with doors and windows closed), is more than enough time (at this time of year) for the darned thing to mist up!! What I've started doing is unlock the car; hold my breath; open driver's door; get in; start car (still holding breath!) and count to five - circulating fan cycles up and then... b-r-e-a-t-h  :laugh:
 I know, it is less than ideal. Wouldn't mind guessing that there is scope to adjust the HVAC module through VCDS or something similar...?

Thanks for the reply. The car is misted up before I even get in the car.

I do wonder if the system shuts off all air vents coming into the car when you turn it off then open again 5 seconds after you start as you suggested.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 09 November 2019, 18:21 »
I posted something similar re my Audi A3 - my theory is that for whatever reason VAG cars are more prone to this - bit annoying!

I'd agree, my wife's 2018 Ibiza is a nightmare for this whereas my BMW hasn't any issues - both live on the drive overnight.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 09 November 2019, 21:30 »
Leak from the sharkfin? That's been seen on here a few times. Check the rear headlining.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline GTi Andy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 10 November 2019, 00:07 »
I feel your pain.

I have the same issue. Mine is 67 plate and on one occasion I got in my car on a damp morning and it looked like water had been sprayed all over the inside of the windscreen. The only way I could clear it was by wiping it down with a towel. Mine appears to have no leaks however I will check what others have said in this thread.

Is the pollen filter behind the glove box or under the bonnet?

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 10 November 2019, 02:51 »
Behind the glovebox. Watch a YouTube on removal so you know how to remove the pollen filter cover plate as you could break the cover clips I used a small screwdriver.

My pollen filter is a carbon one so is grey. For a second I thought it was filthy until I realised it was supposed to look like that !
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 10 November 2019, 08:29 »

I can only assume this is a wind-up?

I've had no issues with condensation with either Mk7.5. I leave it in auto, with ac on all year.

Daft question - OP have you made sure your ac is on?

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 10 November 2019, 11:41 »
Yes air is always on and re gassed last month.

Since leaving my air direction to the windscreen I’ve had no condensation in 2 days so far .....
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 11 November 2019, 09:14 »

I can only assume this is a wind-up?

I've had no issues with condensation with either Mk7.5. I leave it in auto, with ac on all year.

Daft question - OP have you made sure your ac is on?

His car is off.