Author Topic: Ridiculous condensation  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
Ridiculous condensation
« on: 09 November 2019, 07:40 »
Hi

I see a lot of mk7 owners suffer from condensation this time of year but why the mk7?

Ive checked and I’ve not leaks in the car.
I’ve got a large silica bag in the car and it makes no difference.
Yesterday I put anti fog treatment on all the windows. Drove last night, left the car for an hour. Came back and my car is the only car in the car park covered in condensation.

Can anyone explain why the mk7 ???

Thanks
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Ridiculous condensation
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2019, 07:51 »
Is your climate control working ok? Do you have window protection/treatments on? Have you checked your door seals?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2019, 08:05 »
Yes to everything. Thanks
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline CSS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2019, 08:12 »
Have you replaced the pollen filter recently?  Dirty filters dont allow the climate control to work at its optimum, also do you have it on re-circ mode?  Both will retain moisture in the car interior.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2019, 08:14 »
Is your climate control working ok? Do you have window protection/treatments on? Have you checked your door seals?

Also check;

- the pollen filter isn’t saturated with water
- if the car has a sunroof, the drain pipes aren’t blocked and letting water into the cabin
- the carpets are dry (if they’re wet, probably a sign of leaking seals, or blocked pollen filter)
- water isn’t getting into the car around the door speakers, as the speaker seals have been known to fail
- there isn’t water in the spare wheel well in the boot. If there is, possible causes might be a defective light cluster seal, a perished drainage tailgate grommet, the rubber concertina sleeves that carry electrical wiring and washer fluid pipe into the tailgate might be damaged. Also check water isn’t getting into the boot around where the tailgate hinges are attached to the car body shell (a problem on early mk7’s).
- any damp / wet outdoor clothing and umbrellas have been removed from the car.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2019, 09:02 »
I’ve just checked the boot and the pollen filter and they are both fine. No damp carpet anywhere
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2019, 11:41 »
My current trial that I thought of this morning is to leave the air flow button direction the the windscreen to see if air flow while the engine is off helps. After 1/2 hour parked up I had no condensation....

Maybe when the system is on auto, it shuts all the vents when you turn off the engine stopping air moving in the cabin causing condensation.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2019, 12:25 »
It sounds as if water is getting somewhere?

The humidity sensor is in with the rain/light sensor in the rear view mirror housing. I would also check the vents in the mirror housing are dust free?

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2019, 13:19 »
I posted something similar re my Audi A3 - my theory is that for whatever reason VAG cars are more prone to this - bit annoying!
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2019, 13:23 »
It sounds as if water is getting somewhere?

The humidity sensor is in with the rain/light sensor in the rear view mirror housing. I would also check the vents in the mirror housing are dust free?

I’ll check for dust but I only get condensation when the cars parked. When the car is running it’s fine.
2014 gti pp dsg