Poll

Is the mk3 gti 8v slow?

YES
35 (58.3%)
NO
25 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Is the mk3 gti 8v slow?  (Read 31788 times)

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re:Is the mk3 gti 8v slow?
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2004, 10:51 »
Its pretty easy to tell the differences between the Mk4's, if you know what to look for -

Non-turbo models (V5 excluded) run 15" instead of 16" wheels as standard.

Also 99% of the turbo's have three rear headrests, which is the biggest and easiest giveaway to spot.

I have none of models you mentioned, and doubt you could 'roast' me  :-\

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Mk2Gti8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 15 March 2004, 11:16 »
I don't think that the mk3 8v can be called slow, it just happens to be slower than other gti's, the 1.4 polo that i have now that is slow, but i still like it  :). Its a bit harsh to slag peoples cars off just cos they arn't as quick as yours, after all they are all vw's and all gti's no matter how quick they are.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2004, 11:19 by Mk2Gti8v »

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2004, 11:19 »
ok couldnt roast ya.. but its a fairly even match :)

its kinda hard to see wheels from front or back, the headrests thing is useful to know..  I read somewhere that UK dealers put various badges on the cars, with and without the red 'I'  etc etc..  unless its a 4motion or r32 so you cant really tell from behind.

Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2004, 11:32 »
yeah, I think if a car left the factory with any badge on the back, VW were happy.

Rough rule of thumb is 1.8t's and PD150's use the GTI badge with the red i

Lesser PD's are badged as TDI's.

Normally aspirated petrol GTI's use the all silver badge (Some badged as 2.0 GTI).

This is however a rough rule, and with so many people changing badges too, you don't stand a chance in identifying them!
« Last Edit: 15 March 2004, 11:34 by S11EPS »

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2004, 11:38 »
yup yup... theres a sleeper vr6 around here. the only identification is those little vr6 badges on the side trim.

i think the main thing i heard about is that there are NA mk4s with the red I on them.. have a feeling i read that in a buyers guide as a warning.

also..   i have a feeling 8v mk3s dont have rear headrests.. hmm :)

« Last Edit: 15 March 2004, 11:42 by Overseer »
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline LadyCruzer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 15 March 2004, 12:23 »
Theyre slow compared to Vr's or 16v's yet quicker than the other models in the mk3 range  :P

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 15 March 2004, 12:36 »
^ LOL

Offline jte

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 15 March 2004, 13:16 »
A friend of mine has an 8v and we had a little car swap this weekend.  

The 8v is ok i think, it pulled well from the start, and at low speeds was similar to the 16v, but i really noticed the difference on dual carriageways over 70.  Acceleration from 70 to 100 is pretty weak in the 8v.  In the 16v when you get to 90 in fifth you get a steady surge of acceleration, in the 8v it all comes to a whimpering end about there, and anything else is seemed bit of a struggle in comparison.

Overall i thought the 8v has similar charachteristics to any average 2litre car.  It's not a 'slow' car but neither is it a performance car.

If i had one i wouldn't be shouting my mouth off about all the cars i think i can humiliate (dangerous ground even in a 16v) but if i was too young to insure anything better i would be very satisfied with it.

A VR6 isn't a way of life, it's just a car.

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2004, 13:28 »
I don't think that the mk3 8v can be called slow, it just happens to be slower than other gti's, the 1.4 polo that i have now that is slow, but i still like it  :). Its a bit harsh to slag peoples cars off just cos they arn't as quick as yours, after all they are all vw's and all gti's no matter how quick they are.

Well said!! I chose a mk3 8v as I knew the age and spec of the car I wanted and so my budget couldnt stretch to a 16v, and at the time the insurance was a lot more than for a 16v and I didnt want an old mk 1 or 2. If a car is so 'slow' surely it would be whooped throughout the complete rev range and speed?? Doesnt the 8v GTI produce more torque than a 16v at 50 (??). (There was a link ages ago with detailed torque ranges posted by richandhazel but the link no longer works).
« Last Edit: 15 March 2004, 13:30 by 8vgti »

Offline Cupra Turbo

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 15 March 2004, 13:50 »
I don't think that the mk3 8v can be called slow, it just happens to be slower than other gti's, the 1.4 polo that i have now that is slow, but i still like it  . Its a bit harsh to slag peoples cars off just cos they arn't as quick as yours, after all they are all vw's and all gti's no matter how quick they are.

Thank you...

Well said!! I chose a mk3 8v as I knew the age and spec of the car I wanted and so my budget couldnt stretch to a 16v, and at the time the insurance was a lot more than for a 16v and I didnt want an old mk 1 or 2. If a car is so 'slow' surely it would be whooped throughout the complete rev range and speed?? Doesnt the 8v GTI produce more torque than a 16v at 50 (??). (There was a link ages ago with detailed torque ranges posted by richandhazel but the link no longer works).

Same boat as u mate.. I was 18 when I bought mine.

People seem to enjoy slagging it off ... but ... what did they drive @ 18?

Fiesta? LOL
Saxo?  LMAO
Punto? Ok Im getting carried away.

Rest assured mr Veedub8v when Im 22, I'll have summet that'll be faster than this and faster than that "Sherman" u drive now.

But ... considering speed limits are being reduced... does it make a difference? No... what DOES make a difference is ... Mines newer than yours.

In 1990 VW prolly said ... This mk2 is long in the tooth.. and a bit sh!t ... lets make it more modern and the mk3 was born. THAT WAS 1990 14 YEARS AGO!!!

Ya prehistoric now ... at least the mk1 can say "IM THE ORIGINAL & THE BEST"

ur mk2 can say ... Im a wannabe like the rest... im just lighter and more vulnerable in crashes compared to newer... and like it or not... BETTER models..

VW wouldnt bring newer cars out IF THEY WERENT BETTER.

Nuff said.

EVOLUTION.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=38

Modified Golf GTI, 130Bhp(est), All Smoked Plus Quad Headl