Author Topic: VAG-COM fault 01276 - ABS unit repair in 10 easy steps.  (Read 29012 times)

Offline gti_mk3

• Not said much yet
VAG-COM fault 01276 - ABS unit repair in 10 easy steps.
=======================================================

Suffering from this fault code? ABS light keeps coming on? If this sounds familiar - read on.
I'm on my second Mk3 8v, and will attempt any repair before giving money to a 'stealership'.
In terms of 'repair effort' vs. 'money saved' this is a good one....

The other day I was presented with the permanent ABS light problem, and expecting to have to fork out for a sensor or two,
when I plugged the car into VAG-COM it came up with this error...

Address 03: ABS Brakes       Labels: 3A0-907-379.LBL
   Controller: 3A0 907 379 D
   Component: ABS     ITTAE 20 GI V00
   Coding: 03704
   Shop #: WSC 00000
   VCID: 2B2984AFCA0B
1 Fault Found:
01276 -  ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)
            16-00 -  Signal Outside Specifications

When I looked at the pics of replacement units online I thought they looked familiar and realised its the same unit as my Volvo V70..
I know - I was surprised too. Well being the same unit they are prone to similar problems.. and thanks to a helpful write-up on a Volvo forum I repaired my Volvo ABS unit about 6 months ago with the following...

A torx E5 socket
small mirror
stanley knife
tweezers from the bathroom cabinet
screwdriver and pliers
a soldering iron
some sikaflex 221

The ABS light on the Volvo has never returned, so I thought I'd attempt this on the Golf. The problem with the units is that one or two of the solder joints break after a while
(in my case about 13 years of use). The breaks are difficult to see, but a quick dab with a soldering iron on the right joints is all that is needed.

So if you are reasonably competent with a soldering iron and fancy giving this a go, here's what you need to do.

1. Disconnect the battery...(this will clear your fault code anyway)
2. Take the broken ABS unit off. To do this you'll need a torx E5 socket (quite small, 1/4 inch drive). You will need to disconnect the
connection plugs (x2) and three of the brake pipes before the ABS module can be lowered downwards. There are 4 bolts about 50mm long to remove.
Small mirror quite handy here..
3. This is the only difficult part, prising off the lid of the unit. Firstly there are 4 circular clips, I removed mine with an engineer's scriber, or small screwdriver will do. Then carefully with pliers and / or screwdriver pick off the side flange of the lid. It is glued for a good seal with Sikaflex 221 and takes a while to do this... patience is the key.
4. Eventually it will prise off and you are left with the view in the photo. There may be a silicone seal across the printed circuit board (PCB) in which case you will need to remove this before soldering. Take a stanley knife and a small pair of your missus' tweezers and lift off enough of the silicone around the joints to be soldered. Take care not to damage the PCB with the knife.
5. Before soldering the PCB itself practice on a board from an old radio or something, this will help you get a steady hand..
6. The joints you need to re-solder are circled in the attached photo.

7. Finally seal the lid back down with Sikaflex 221 (silicone sealant will probably do).
8. Leave overnight for the sealant to dry.
9. Fit the unit back on and re-bleed the brakes if you lost too much fluid. I didn't need to bleed mine however.
10. Reconnect battery and drive off with no more annoying ABS light. 

I hope this helps some of you out there as much as it has helped me. I think I've saved about £1500 on my two cars with this repair - costing no more than about £15. By the way - attempt this at your own risk - I take no responsibility for any damage caused by the above!!

Cheers
Chris

Offline gti_mk3

• Not said much yet

VW BUSH

Re: VAG-COM fault 01276 - ABS unit repair in 10 easy steps.
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2011, 22:01 »
Thats quite handy to know :cool:

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2011, 22:50 »
Will this cure a problem with abs sensor faults showing? Especially on the rear.

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2011, 23:08 »
Will definatly be giving this a go cheers!

Offline gti_mk3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2011, 21:27 »
Will this cure a problem with abs sensor faults showing? Especially on the rear.

Yes it can do - the group of four solder connections are for the 4 sensors. These are prone to fail just like the power input connection in the bottom of the image. If you have only one rear sensor at fault you can swap the connectors under the back seat - this will tell you if the sensor is actually at fault or the module itself. It is worth removing the wheel sensors and cleaning gently with a wire brush as they get covered in crud. If they are split then water gets inside and the only option is to renew them. I've only fitted genuine VW sensors when mine have failed in the past but have since found that non-genuine ones are much cheaper and just as good. GSF car parts probably sell them.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2011, 21:32 »
I did that and swapped sensors. I ended up with two sensor faults, proving i had an ecu problem.  I had an old ecu that i'd tried to open. Ended up cutting the lid open as it seemed impossible to get off without breaking. Must be more patient next time.  :huh:

I have a not working  ECU at the moment. I may have another go. By the way. You dont need to remove brake lines to get the ecu out. You can bend the lines out of the way.  :wink:

Offline gti_mk3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2011, 21:46 »
Getting the lid off is the only tricky part but eventually they give way..
Sounds like the solder joints are the problem on yours. Definitely worth a go.

By the way. You dont need to remove brake lines to get the ecu out. You can bend the lines out of the way.  :wink:

I tried bending mine - but bottled it for fear of breaking them! good to know that this can be done tho'

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2012, 17:07 »

Yes it can do - the group of four solder connections are for the 4 sensors. These are prone to fail just like the power input connection in the bottom of the image.

Just to add a correction. Those pins arent the sensors.

Sensors are the the smaller pins top right.

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2012, 17:14 »
definately trying this next weekend mines fubarbed and cant find a replacement anywhere  :sad: